Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LXQt Now Has Full Qt5 Support

Phoronix: LXQt Now Has Full Qt5 Support

The "LXQt" desktop that's a Qt version of the lightweight LXDE desktop can now be compiled using Qt5 where as previously there were still Qt4 dependencies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be really awesome to run LXQt on Wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by J?rnS View Post
      Just wait for Kwin

Comment

Originally posted by J?rnS View Post
        It would be ironic for "Lightweight X Desktop Environment" to run on non-X.

Jokes aside. LXDE doesn't have its own window manager so I wonder if they will use one of the existing wayland compositors or they will port openbox (the X window manager they currently recommend) to be a wayland compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
          <..> or they will port openbox (the X window manager they currently recommend) to be a wayland compositor.
          Would be wonderful!

Comment

Unless Wayland gets "network transparency" A lot of people will still need X based systems. Here's hoping either Wayland implements it or XWayland would be enough. In the long term I doubt XWayland would be enough.

Comment

Awesome news. And Gentoo already has 0.7 in ~amd64. Can't wait to try it all out in two weeks.

It would be ironic for "Lightweight X Desktop Environment" to run on non-X.
              You mean the "Lightweight X Qt"?

Jokes aside. LXDE doesn't have its own window manager so I wonder if they will use one of the existing wayland compositors or they will port openbox (the X window manager they currently recommend) to be a wayland compositor.
              Openbox is entirely dependent on X. Trying to port it means recreating it from scratch, and I think they have more interesting ways of spending their time. KWin is supported just as well, and perhaps they could also add support for Weston.

Originally posted by pouar View Post
              Unless Wayland gets "network transparency" A lot of people will still need X based systems. Here's hoping either Wayland implements it or XWayland would be enough. In the long term I doubt XWayland would be enough.
              "A lot of people" that require network transparency being like five.

Comment

Sigh.

Gui programs on linux haven't been network transparent for a long time. Instead, it has been mostly sending screenshots over the network in a very inefficient manner.

Wayland will be better for gui apps over the network.

Comment

I don't see how 'converting' Openbox to be a Wayland compositor could make any sense - it does almost nothing beyond allowing you to drag windows about, with minimal UI, so just about all the code will be X11-specific. Porting a big flashy thing like KWin is reasonable, because it has a ton of fancy effects, desktop switching UI, theming and menus that aren't directly related to the actual window management.

I bet the number of people who currently use X network transparency is almost nil. Both the major toolkits use features that aren't properly network-transparent, so those hypothetical people must be using 10-15 year-old applications drawing X primitives directly (or does Motif or something equally antiquated support it)?

Comment

Openbox isn't a compositor, as far as I know. So they'll need to port Compton. Kwin will probably arrive sooner though. While Kwin is quite heavy, it's still fast if you don't use fancy effects.

Comment

Working...
                    X