Help--Wattsup and System Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help--Wattsup and System Power

I've installed Phoronix Test Suite on my Linux machine (Ubuntu 12.04). When I type "phoronix-test-suite system-sensors," the System Power Consumption is listed under "Unsupported Sensors." I have a Wattsup Pro Power meter connected to my machine and I have also installed the Linux Utility found on the Wattsup website under Support. How can I get the Phoronix Test Suite to receive data from the Wattsup Pro?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Compile the WattsUp utility and then place it at /usr/bin/wattsup and then PTS should be able to detect it with system-sensors command or when setting the export MONITOR=all environment variable during benchmarking.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've tried that and it still doesn't seem to be working... any suggestions?

root@coyote-desktop: /usr/bin/wattsup# ls
      LinuxUtility.zip utility.txt wattsup.bin wattsup.c.old
      readme.txt wattsup wattsup.c

root@coyote-desktop:~# MONITOR=all phoronix-test-suite benchmark bork

Phoronix Test Suite v3.8.0

Installed: pts/bork-1.0.0

System Information

Hardware:
      Processor: Intel Atom 330 @ 1.60GHz (4 Cores), Motherboard: American Megatrends 080015, Chipset: NVIDIA MCP79, Memory: 2 x 2048 MB SDRAM-1639MHz, Disk: 500GB SAMSUNG HM500JI, Graphics: NVIDIA ION VGA 256MB (450MHz), Audio: Realtek ALC662 rev1, Monitor: DELL 1908FP, Network: NVIDIA MCP79 + Atheros AR928X Wireless

Software:
      OS: Ubuntu 12.04, Kernel: 3.2.0-24-generic (x86_64), Desktop: Unity 5.12.0, Display Server: X Server 1.11.3, Display Driver: nouveau 0.0.16, Compiler: GCC 4.6, File-System: ext4, Screen Resolution: 1280x1024

Recently Saved Test Results:
      - borkpowertest2 [Today]
      - borkpowertest1 [Today]

Enter a name to save these results under: borkpowertest3
      Enter a unique name to describe this test run / configuration: borkpowertest3

If you wish, enter a new description below to better describe this result set / system configuration under test.
      Press ENTER to proceed without changes.

Current Description: Intel Atom 330 testing with a American Megatrends 080015 and NVIDIA ION VGA 256MB on Ubuntu 12.04 via the Phoronix Test Suite.

New Description:

Sensors To Be Logged:
      - CPU Frequency
      - CPU Temperature
      - CPU Usage
      - GPU Frequency
      - GPU Temperature
      - Drive Read Speed
      - Drive Write Speed
      - Memory Usage
      - Swap Usage
      - System Iowait
      - System Temperature

Bork File Encrypter 1.4:
      pts/bork-1.0.0
      Test 1 of 1
      Estimated Trial Run Count: 3
      Estimated Time To Completion: 13 Minutes
      Running Pre-Test Script @ 09:30:41
      Started Run 1 @ 09:31:25^C

Comment

The wattsup binary should be at /usr/bin, not some folder. Either rename the existing wattsup binary if that works or: gcc wattsup.c -o wattsup and toss that in /usr/bin.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Thank you, that worked! Is there a way to see the exact numbers rather than just the graphs? I was hoping to use Phoronix Test Suite partly as a data logger for the Wattsup Meter and would like to find a way to see the numbers used to produce the graph.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote View Post
            Thank you, that worked! Is there a way to see the exact numbers rather than just the graphs? I was hoping to use Phoronix Test Suite partly as a data logger for the Wattsup Meter and would like to find a way to see the numbers used to produce the graph.
            All the raw data is within the XML file.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

I'm sorry if my question seems incredibly mundane or stupid. But I'm having difficulty with this...how many I access this XML file? And will the XML file show both the time and power data?

Comment

Try looking in ~/.phoronix-test-suite/test-results/
                Find the name of your test and there should be an XML file that you can cat to look at

Comment

Working...
                X