Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Orbital Shell Is Still Under Development

Phoronix: Wayland's Orbital Shell Is Still Under Development

Several months ago I wrote about Orbital as a new shell for Wayland's Weston. While not much has been widely heard about the shell plug-in since that point, it's still under development and this week more patches landed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonder if any of the full-fledged desktop environments will achieve this sort of buttery smoothness.

Comment

looks pretty mature and complete!
      Amazing!
      will it work on the Raspberry Pi?

Comment

I wonder when KDE SC and GNOME 3 will be officially available on Wayland?

I would love to see gnome-session-flashback with Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
          Wonder if any of the full-fledged desktop environments will achieve this sort of buttery smoothness.
          I can not see about zero difference to my KDE 4.11 on opensuse except the theme. It?s as smooth as what shown in the video. Workspaces look the same etc.
          Why is the wheel re-invented so often?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I wonder when KDE SC and GNOME 3 will be officially available on Wayland?

I would love to see gnome-session-flashback with Wayland support.
            Gnome 3.12 will have a complete port to Wayland. It's will be out at the end of March this year.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              I can not see about zero difference to my KDE 4.11 on opensuse except the theme. It?s as smooth as what shown in the video. Workspaces look the same etc.
              Why is the wheel re-invented so often?
              Make the same comparison with a raspberry pi and you will see why they "reinvent the wheel" so often. Then tell us your experience. For my quad core with 4 real cores and Nvidia graphics everything is very smooth too. Remember the market is very mobile today, so they are improving mobile experience.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
                Make the same comparison with a raspberry pi and you will see why they "reinvent the wheel" so often. Then tell us your experience. For my quad core with 4 real cores and Nvidia graphics everything is very smooth too. Remember the market is very mobile today, so they are improving mobile experience.
                ... and try to code sane and secure code with a software steck that does not rely on code from 20 years ago. --> see X-bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
                  Huh? I can not see a hint, that the video shown was recorded on a raspberry pi. So Orbital might not be faster/smoother than any other DE on RPi. So whats your point? What did I overlook?
                  Wayland is needed, but another DE?
                  We have about 10...

Comment

The video was not recorded on a rpi, and i don't know how well orbital would run on it. If anyone could try, that'd be cool.
                    That said, Orbital is not and will not be a DE. It is a (desktop) shell only, and I made it because I wanted a wayland shell, and the default weston shell is too much a toy, i don't like gnome shell and kwin will take who knows how much time yet. But what's more important, it's fun to work on and someone else finds/may find it useful.

p.s. it also doesn't depend on systemd. I've nothing against it but i know many people here have some furious hatred against it.

Comment

Working...
                    X