Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget grapich card, Open Source

Hey,
    ATM I have a HD3300 (onboard), but it is only supported by basic VESA drivers. The card works fine with closed-source drivers, but since I want to build a multiseat...

Can anyone recommend me a budget (may have poorer performance than the HD3300) card which is fully supported by OSS drivers?

I don't need 3D acceleration. It's for PCI-E.

Thank you!

The HD3300 should already work with modesetting on the open-source drivers on either the radeon or radeonhd drivers. 2d/3d acceleration is being worked on and should be ready for end-users in the next few months.

There really isn't any discrete graphics card being sold today that is fully supported by open-source drivers, only Intel has open-source support for their most recent products. ATI is still catching up, and NVIDIA doesn't have a supported open-source effort at all (the Nouveau folks are trying to reverse-engineer NVIDIA cards, but that's tough going)

If you don't need open-source drivers. NVIDIA and ATI both have supported proprietary drivers.

Comment

Hey TechMage89, thanks for your reply!

Can you then explain to me why xrandr only shows one screen, then?

Code:
      martijn@multiseat:~$ xrandr -q
      Screen 0: minimum 640 x 400, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
      default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
         1280x1024       0.0* 
         1152x864        0.0  
         1024x768        0.0  
         800x600         0.0  
         640x480         0.0  
         720x400         0.0
      (When I've got two connected)

Comment

Maybe because you use a connector which is shared with the other?

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain it, please?

Comment

Maybe you have got a display port connector too and the one you want to use is shared with the other one. Did you try Win?

Comment

I do have a display port connector, but I don't think it's shared (if I understand you correctly). The propriety driver can create independent screens.

If Win means Windows, no I have not. A Windows license is too expensive for me.

Comment

You can be sure you can only use display port + one of the others.

Comment

What kano means is the vga and dvi ports are linked (you can only use one of them at a time, not both) and to use two monitors you need to plug one into the display port port.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    You can be sure you can only use display port + one of the others.
                    Why? If another driver can create 2 independent screens, then it means it's not shared, right?

Shared = same screen on both outputs

Comment

Working...
                    X