Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Haswell Graphics Code Begins Appearing

Phoronix: Intel Haswell Graphics Code Begins Appearing

The open-source Intel Linux graphics driver code for Intel's 2013 platform, Haswell, has begun to surface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank You, Intel!

While recently shopping for a new laptop, I only looked at products containing an Intel video chipset due to Intel's stellar free software support on Linux. I ended up purchasing a Core i5 2520M laptop that should be delivered any day.

Thank you, Intel, for continuing to set a great example of how to work within the free software ecosystem. I will continue to support the companies that do likewise.

Comment

It is really amazing how Intel is cracking through their weaknesses.
      First there was a lame integrated graphics. Then came their first
      "fusion" chip before the other man's real Fusion. After that there was
      incremental work, but always patient and systematic.

Now they have an open source driver that is ready for a chip comming
      next year? And all the time in the world to tweak it and tune it.

I wish that AMD and nVidia had enough sense to follow their footsteps.
      However, Android on x86 will come. And then some devices will be
      upgradeable, some wont. Guess what happens with Intel's?

Comment

Haswells Gfx should be named Gen 7.5 and ULT is of course the ULV SoC variant.

Comment

man I do love intel for their caring towards the linux community. i worded if they have an agenda, or they are just being nice. because lets face it, by disappointing the linux user base they aren't really going to hurt their bottom line very much

Comment

Originally posted by mikkl View Post
            Haswells Gfx should be named Gen 7.5 and ULT is of course the ULV SoC variant.
            /me would really like to avoid converting the 'u8 gen' variable which describes chip generation into a float for strictly describing the chip generation .

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              man I do love intel for their caring towards the linux community. i worded if they have an agenda
              There is always a plan .

Comment

maybe gain more users/developers of linux and subsequently help linux in the enterprise (where the real money is)?

Comment

Originally posted by eugeni_dodonov View Post
                  /me would really like to avoid converting the 'u8 gen' variable which describes chip generation into a float for strictly describing the chip generation .

This is how Intel calls it. I know that it conflicts with Series 6, 7 etc. chipset series.

Comment

Originally posted by eugeni_dodonov View Post
                    u8 gen_minor;

?

Comment

Working...
                    X