Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First GNOME 3.8 Development Release

Phoronix: The First GNOME 3.8 Development Release

The first development release of the GNOME 3.8 is now available with new features for the GNOME desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Article
    The GNOME Settings Daemon is now dependent upon logind for session tracking as well as suspending and rebooting the system.
    Only occurance of logind i could find was from systemd so does this mean Gnome 3.8 has an implied dependency on systemd? Or can you load logind without systemd?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Does anyone, even just one person, anywhere, on the whole planet, actually use epiphany?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Only occurance of logind i could find was from systemd so does this mean Gnome 3.8 has an implied dependency on systemd? Or can you load logind without systemd?
        GNOME doesn't directly depend on logind but the D-Bus interface which is provided by logind but alternative implementations can be used instead. GNOME already uses several such interfaces.

Comment

GNOME Fallback mode

Drop or Fix Fallback Mode

I hope they do not drop GNOME Fallback mode!
          I am no fan of Unity or GNOME Shell, and really like the classic GNOME experience.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Does anyone, even just one person, anywhere, on the whole planet, actually use epiphany?
            Yes, I do, because it's so lightweight but still renders the web correctly thanks to the WebKit engine. And it integrates so nicely with the rest of the system.
            Last edited by 0xCAFE; 26 October 2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              If someone steps up to maintain it. Oracle?

Comment

Originally posted by gnome
                Since the release of 3.0, a technology called llvmpipe has allowed for fast software rendering, lowering the need for the fallback mode.
                My eyes are BURNING!!!! PULL THEM OUT!!! PULL THEM OUT!!!!

And bullet point / link:
                "the presence of fallback mode is having a negative impact on the quality of the primary GNOME 3 user experience"
                Originally posted by link
                Please list any negative ways in which fallback mode makes the primary GNOME 3 experience worse for users. Linking to bugs is fine.

Last edited by droidhacker; 26 October 2012, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  GNOME doesn't directly depend on logind but the D-Bus interface which is provided by logind but alternative implementations can be used instead. GNOME already uses several such interfaces.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Soft...StabilityChart
                  Thanks for the clarification Rahul!
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

My experience with gnome-fallback in dual-head/non-xinerama (zaphod) configurations is that it is nearly as useless as Unity or Gnome3. I switched to XFCE.

Comment

Working...
                    X