Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D Post-Processing, MLAA Nearly Ready

Phoronix: Gallium3D Post-Processing, MLAA Nearly Ready

One of the projects being worked on via X.Org / Mesa with the 2011 Google Summer of Code is morphological anti-aliasing (MLAA) support for Gallium3D / Mesa. Back in July there was MLAA code ready to be tested, but now the student developer behind this code, Lauri Kasanen, has published patches that add the post-processing infrastructure to Gallium3D. The work may soon be ready to be merged to master...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So how is this functionality used? Is it in an OpenGL spec or is it any magic to it?

Comment

It isn't a part of any OpenGL spec, so games will not use it by default.

I think that the plan is to have an environment variable which does MLAA instead of MSAA when the game asks for the latter. This will give you antialiasing, but not the correct type.

Which might be good enough for many people, at least until MSAA gets implemented properly, and it will be a welcome alternative even then.

Comment

Can anybody explain how closely related MLAA is to Adaptive Anti-aliasing and how they're similar/different?

Isn't it a little backwards to have MLAA before MSAA?
        Last edited by Sidicas; 16 August 2011, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          So how is this functionality used? Is it in an OpenGL spec or is it any magic to it?
          You can enable it for any app via driconf or an env var. Similar to Catalyst control center.

I think that the plan is to have an environment variable which does MLAA instead of MSAA when the game asks for the latter.
          Not that I know of, it's completely user-controlled, whether an app asks for MSAA has nothing to do with it. You can even use them at the same time - since they have different strengths using both will have better quality than either alone.

Can anybody explain how closely related MLAA is to Adaptive Anti-aliasing and how they're similar/different?
          Please define adaptive AA. A proprietary vendor solution?

I don't think so; MLAA can be brought to all able gpus at once, unlike MSAA.

Comment

MLAA before MSAA ...

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
            Besides, nv50 already supports MSAA (if only via GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Please define adaptive AA. A proprietary vendor solution?
              I think it was ATI's equivalent of nvidia's TrAA (transparency Anti-aliasing).. For use on transparent textures..

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...aa_explained/2
              Last edited by Sidicas; 16 August 2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Will this have any applications outside of gaming?

To be more precise, how will this affect my GL accelerated desktop? What if I decide to use Qt's OpenGL renderer?

David

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                  I think it was ATI's equivalent of nvidia's TrAA (transparency Anti-aliasing).. For use on transparent textures..

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...aa_explained/2
                  Oh, I see. It's a tweak of MSAA, just like CSAA and whatnot each vendor has.

That would be (mostly) in hw, MLAA runs in shaders.

Will this have any applications outside of gaming?

To be more precise, how will this affect my GL accelerated desktop? What if I decide to use Qt's OpenGL renderer?
                  Any GL app should be usable with the filters. If you want compiz with MLAA it should work. Or qtwebkit cel-shaded, heh.

Comment

What about MLAA 1.6? It should already be released but the MLAA site still have 1.5. Maybe it's closed source?

Comment

Working...
                    X