Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Gets Generic Multi-Session, Session Devices

Phoronix: Systemd Gets Generic Multi-Session, Session Devices

The logind component of systemd now has support for "session devices" and generic multi-session handling as part of the work done by CONFIG_VT-killer David Herrmann...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm unsure what this means...?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      The developer made quite a few blog posts about the subject:

One thing I always admired on linux is fast session-switching. A simple key-press (ctrl+alt+Fx) and I can ditch my current session to switch to another one. While in principle session-interaction i…

Having multiple sessions on your system in parallel is a quite handy feature. It allows things like Fast User Switching or running two different DEs at the same time. Especially graphics developers…

In a previous article I talked about the history of VT switching. Created as a simple way to switch between text-mode sessions it has grown into a fragile API to protect one testosterone monster (a…

My work towards deprecating CONFIG_VT recently got stuck due to several kernel changes that are needed to proceed. DRM Render-nodes and Modeset-nodes are on their way and so I thought I’d pro…

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        Linux VT = Linux virtual terminal. Also called virtual console.

When you hit ctrl-alt-F1 you switch to the first virtual console. Hit ctrl-alt-F2 you switch to the second and so on and so forth for all the different F keys.

Each virtual console then runs a console output. It can be X Windows, standalone GL graphics, VGA text console, FBdev text console, and other such things.

Typically you have 1 X windows console and then 6 or 7 text consoles configured by default. The text consoles are controlled by a program called a 'getty' and the X11 console is controlled by your X Windows Server.

like this:
        root@machinename:~# ps -ef|grep getty
        root 3885 1 0 03:08 tty1 00:00:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty1
        root 3886 1 0 03:08 tty2 00:00:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty2
        root 3887 1 0 03:08 tty3 00:00:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty3
        root 3888 1 0 03:08 tty4 00:00:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty4
        root 3889 1 0 03:08 tty5 00:00:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty5
        root 3890 1 0 03:08 tty6 00:00:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty6
        root 10541 4589 0 06:32 pts/0 00:00:00 grep getty

TTY is just the traditional name for text console. It's a throw back to the ancient days when all we had were serial consoles to big machines.

Traditionally you had F1-F7 virtual consoles controlled by a getty and then F8 was your login for X Windows. However Fedora systems and a couple others have moved to having F1 being X. But you can configure them to be anything you want, really. A lot of time Linux installers, for example, will have the installer run on F1, have a root shell on F2 and F3, and have various logging information showing on F4 and F5.

Right now if you want real multi user sessions in Linux you have to depend on hacks with X windows or you have to switch back and forth using ctrl+alt+F* and have the Linux kernel control it.

They want to move away from that because it causes usability and/or performance issues. They want to have the ability for more flexible multiuser configuration setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          The developer made quite a few blog posts about the subject:

One thing I always admired on linux is fast session-switching. A simple key-press (ctrl+alt+Fx) and I can ditch my current session to switch to another one. While in principle session-interaction i…

Having multiple sessions on your system in parallel is a quite handy feature. It allows things like Fast User Switching or running two different DEs at the same time. Especially graphics developers…

In a previous article I talked about the history of VT switching. Created as a simple way to switch between text-mode sessions it has grown into a fragile API to protect one testosterone monster (a…

http://dvdhrm.wordpress.com/2013/07/...m-compositors/
          These articles are excellent. Highly recommend reading them.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post

When you hit ctrl-alt-F1 you switch to the first virtual console. Hit ctrl-alt-F2 you switch to the second and so on and so forth for all the different F keys.

Each virtual console then runs a console output. It can be X Windows, standalone GL graphics, VGA text console, FBdev text console, and other such things.

Typically you have 1 X windows console and then 6 or 7 text consoles configured by default. The text consoles are controlled by a program called a 'getty' and the X11 console is controlled by your X Windows Server.

like this:

TTY is just the traditional name for text console. It's a throw back to the ancient days when all we had were serial consoles to big machines.

Traditionally you had F1-F7 virtual consoles controlled by a getty and then F8 was your login for X Windows. However Fedora systems and a couple others have moved to having F1 being X. But you can configure them to be anything you want, really. A lot of time Linux installers, for example, will have the installer run on F1, have a root shell on F2 and F3, and have various logging information showing on F4 and F5.

Right now if you want real multi user sessions in Linux you have to depend on hacks with X windows or you have to switch back and forth using ctrl+alt+F* and have the Linux kernel control it.

They want to move away from that because it causes usability and/or performance issues. They want to have the ability for more flexible multiuser configuration setup.
            I learnt something new today.

Comment

That's horrible! Good thing somebody is working on fixing that.

Comment

like this:

In short, we admit OS X has is right.

Comment

Working...
                X