Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Radeon Graphics Have Some Improvements On Linux 3.17

Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon Graphics Have Some Improvements On Linux 3.17

Early benchmarking of the Linux 3.17 kernel have indicated faster performance for AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver thanks to Radeon DRM improvements.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess these improvements won't help r600 anymore (or any future improvement)
    But this is great news

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      But this is great news
      Why wouldn't they? Support for uncached gart pages, for example, can have positive performance implications for all asics that support it which includes older asics.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        But this is great news
        Several of the improvements definitely target r600 hardware (and above).

Comment

It targets ONLY r600 because radeonsi is in an unusable state right now: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79980
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            It targets ONLY r600 because radeonsi is in an unusable state right now: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79980
            Hmmm...does this bug manifest itself as a black screen with error messages (relating to some soft lockups) imediately after you boot into your DE?

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
              Hmmm...does this bug manifest itself as a black screen with error messages (relating to some soft lockups) imediately after you boot into your DE?
              I saw this bug report for the first time on this thread, but I've been experiencing it for a while on two machines with radeonsi cards.

Google Chrome seem to trigger it quite quickly on one machine running Gnome. The other machine is triggered less easily. This bug makes productive use of the computer much more difficult. In general, the machine which runs Gnome is triggered more easily than the machine running AwesomeWM.

Comment

Hearing obout this bug is very disturbing. Is it present in the 3.16 kernel as well?

Very worried as all the distros will likely be upgrading to 3.16 or 3.17 soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                  Hearing obout this bug is very disturbing. Is it present in the 3.16 kernel as well?

Very worried as all the distros will likely be upgrading to 3.16 or 3.17 soon.
                  Every kernel release above 3.15 is affected. (we could be lucky and receive a fix prior to 3.17 final release date thouh).
                  See bug report page for details.
                  Also, you could manually install a kernel (from 3.15 above) and see if you too are affected.

Comment

Nice to have improvements but please could one of the devs fix the flickering when uvd is changing clock speeds. Also i think it would be nice if the message in the journal is shorter when this happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X