Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.4.0 Released With Graphite, Etc

Phoronix: GCC 4.4.0 Released With Graphite, Etc

Finally we have a stable, official release of GCC 4.4. This major update to the GNU Compiler Collection brings forth Graphite, which is a framework for providing loop optimizations and eventually will be used to provide automatic parallelization support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm looking forward to the time-intensive and tedious GCC 4.4.0 benchmarks that Phoronix is sure to provide .

Comment

Originally posted by unix_epoch View Post
      I'm looking forward to the time-intensive and tedious GCC 4.4.0 benchmarks that Phoronix is sure to provide .
      Yeah...pages and pages of charts that'll make your eyes glaze over...

Seriously if this compiler lives up to its advertised specs then we could have a winner

Comment

Yeah maybe Firefox will preform better on Linux than Windows or Wine.

Ok... sorry I had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post

Ok... sorry I had to.
          From what I read, GCC has had PGO (profile guided optimisations) since at least 2004, and it makes a big difference in speed, but for some reason only the Windows builds of Firefox from Mozilla use it...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post

Ok... sorry I had to.
            Yeah, but they use dog slow interface.

Comment

Is it just me or is time running out for C++0x ?

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
                From what I read, GCC has had PGO (profile guided optimisations) since at least 2004, and it makes a big difference in speed, but for some reason only the Windows builds of Firefox from Mozilla use it...
                I know, I know, but still it takes major press in 2009 to make it happen no? That's worth poking fun at, IMO .

Fortunately most users can get current and better built Firefox by adding a repository to their distribution's package management.

More on topic, I'm with unix_epoch and am looking forward to seeing some benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by wiscados View Post
                  Is it just me or is time running out for C++0x ?
                  I'm guessing that x is just an integer, so it could be anything up to C++099 (for 2099)

But seriously, I hope that it's finalised and is implemented by all major compilers soon - there are some really awesome things in it (like shared_ptr)

Comment

Working...
                  X