Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Release Happiness Continues Into April

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Release Happiness Continues Into April

NVIDIA had ended out March with five Linux display driver releases with it ranging from a day to a week between updated Linux drivers were pushed out from this Santa Clara company. It's been just over a week since their last display driver release, but it looks like April will be another month of fierce Linux/Solaris/BSD driver updates from NVIDIA. This afternoon NVIDIA has pushed out the 185.19 Beta driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah baby.
    Edit: Hmm, glxgears up to ~25,000fps from 17,000fps. Window resizing is very snappy atm.
    Last edited by hax0r; 06 April 2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

lol if they continue like this they'll end up writing the "perfect" gpu driver.

Comment

Wow, I think they're really trying to add salt to the wound with the recent negative news about AMD Linux drivers.

Honestly, from someone who uses only ATI cards, all these updates are looking awfully good.

But that is where I think AMD has the disadvantage with the press - it has this strict update schedule that it rarely moves away from, releasing drivers every ~30 days. Nvidia doesn't really seem to have that precise schedule, so they update their drivers whenever they see fit. One AMD release could have as many new features or fixes as five Nvidia releases.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWalrus View Post
          One AMD release could have as many new features or fixes as five Nvidia releases.
          Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. There has been many releases that have basically had little change from the previous.

Comment

This is the force make me gradually changing all my ATI cards in favor of NV cards. ATI's empty promise is paying itself off. I think more people would switch to NV because their driver works flawlessly and using Linux desktop has moved from agony of lock ups, scrambled screens, flickers to slick and joy.

Comment

Most of these are beta. AMD also releases several beta drivers within a month's period. Difference is that AMD's beta program is closed while nvidia's is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                Most of these are beta. AMD also releases several beta drivers within a month's period. Difference is that AMD's beta program is closed while nvidia's is not.
                Who cares when NVIDIA Beta works better than AMD "STABLE"

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                  Who cares when NVIDIA Beta works better than AMD "STABLE"
                  True.. But the only thing with nvidia cards is that I don't always trust the hardware itself.

Comment

This is presented a bit one-sidedly. Quantity is not everything that's important, I think. I mean, theoretically you could take AMD's open source drivers and bump the release number on every little bugfix, since that seems to be what NVIDIA are trying to do with their driver.

They're trying to keep the cake and eat it -- keep their drivers closed, but create the illusion they keep you on the bleeding edge. That doesn't chance the fact you're pretty much forced to use a binary blob.

Even if NVIDIA releases a driver every single damn day, AMD's strategy is unarguably better.

Comment

Working...
                    X