Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA DRM/KMS Driver Still Not Ready For Linux 3.8

Phoronix: VIA DRM/KMS Driver Still Not Ready For Linux 3.8

While there's a lot of great stuff to the Linux 3.8 kernel, with the merge window recently closed, one feature that's long been lacking from the mainline Linux kernel is support for kernel mode-setting (KMS) on VIA graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

pff seriously, nobody else, no programmers can get help?

many people have a hardware Via chipset, it would restore one second youth has this material and add a 3em competitor between intel and amd for linux.
    (sorry for my bad english)

Comment

A lot of coders were scared away I guess. And maybe some already "extinted" their VIA hardware and changed to something from the "big 3" in x86 area. I still have VIA chips in use and given up hope to use them as decent HTPC quite some time ago, but it still works as fileserver or emergency box if something else fails.
      But if KMS actually emerges I'll still be happy.

Merry xmas folks!
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by lepetit View Post
        pff seriously, nobody else, no programmers can get help?

many people have a hardware Via chipset, it would restore one second youth has this material and add a 3em competitor between intel and amd for linux.
        (sorry for my bad english)
        VIA will never become a true 3rd competitor. The problem is that their product is fairly expensive compared to AMD's or Intel's offerings and has very little room for improvement with them being restricted to a now ancient bus and far behind in manufacturing process.

Comment

They could have stepped into a perfect niche position when AMD/intel had their MHz race. They were (besides Transmeta) the first to offer low power passively cooled solutions. Nobody else had this in the x86 market and Transmeta never really came into business. E.g. the C7 wasn't that bad (I still use that one). But now you have good offers from all sides and from the large ones you get definitely better specs/driver support. Even nvidia with their blob does better than VIA. *shrugs*
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Everything that VIA touches eventually dies a slow death, ICEnsemble, S3, Cyrix, Centaur ....

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              VIA will never become a true 3rd competitor. The problem is that their product is fairly expensive compared to AMD's or Intel's offerings and has very little room for improvement with them being restricted to a now ancient bus and far behind in manufacturing process.
              I am very happy with my motherboard ve-900 (via nano +VX900) under Windows, but it must support linux

Comment

Working...
              X