Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Audio with fglrx?

Hi,

tried to have HDMI audio with my ati-based mainboard graphics.

It works out of the box with the open source drivers, but it doesn't work (same system) when switching to fglrx. Is there some setting for xorg that needs to be set for HDMI audio to work with fglrx?

Thanks!

You don't happen to be using a DVI to HDMI adapter plug, do you?
    If that is the case, you need to be aware that AMD sells a couple of PROPRIETARY adapter plugs, which fglrx can DETECT in order to decide whether or not to enable HDMI audio.

The open source driver uses the display's EDID to determine if it is HDMI capable, so any GENERIC DVI to HDMI adapter or cable will work.

Also note: there are TWO DIFFERENT proprietary plugs that AMD sells. If you want to get one, make sure to get the correct one for YOUR CARD.

Note2: It is *also* possible that your card VENDOR made adjustments, which would mean that you will need THEIR plug rather than AMD's plug.

Yes, it is an ugly mess with the DVI plugs.

Just use the open source driver.

Comment

No, not using any adapter here, there is a HDMI connector on my system's mainboard with an integrated ATI graphics card.

It's connected to the TV with a 2m HDMI cable (1.3b compliant, says the manufacturer) which works fine with the blu ray player on the same TV.

Comment

My card is an 4850, this is all I need to get it to work:

remco@mirage:~$ aplay -l
        **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
        card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
        Subdevices: 1/1
        Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
        card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
        card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]

HDMI is card 1, device 3.

mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.3 /path/to/file

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Di...r_media_player has some info on it

Comment

That doesn't solve my problem. In fact, aplay works without an error and "plays" something, but audio output to the TV is muted. There are instructions you can find via google telling me to unmute the alsamixer setting for HDMI out, but I did, and it doesn't solve the problem.

And once again, the same system can play HDMI with the open source driver, but with fglrx, I get this strange problem of muted audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            That doesn't solve my problem. In fact, aplay works without an error and "plays" something, but audio output to the TV is muted. There are instructions you can find via google telling me to unmute the alsamixer setting for HDMI out, but I did, and it doesn't solve the problem.

And once again, the same system can play HDMI with the open source driver, but with fglrx, I get this strange problem of muted audio.
            I would have to say then, that the solution is to use the open source driver. If you don't mind my asking, if the open source driver works, why would you even consider using fglrx?

Comment

The open source driver still has incomplete power management (they say so themselves on their status page) and system load is far higher than with fglrx (0.5 compared to somewhere around 2 with the oss driver).

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                The open source driver still has incomplete power management (they say so themselves on their status page) and system load is far higher than with fglrx (0.5 compared to somewhere around 2 with the oss driver).
                Unless you have a laptop, power management isn't worth a whole lot.
                And system load of 0.5 vs 2...? On WHAT METRIC? Percent CPU usage? If that's the case, then that is well within the realm of IMMEASURABLE DIFFERENCE.

Fact is that unless you're using UVD or 3D, the open source driver's performance tends to actually be BETTER than fglrx (which means LOWER system load).

Comment

I have exactly the same problem. Old Dell desktop with HD 3650 AGP graphics card and Ubuntu 10.04. With open drivers video and audio works ok through DVI/HDMI adapter to Sony AV AMP/HD projector.

Only problem is that Firefox flash video is choppy even when not using full screen.

After changing to ati drivers, video is smooth, but no audio anymore. Same output from aplay -l, alsa mixer is not muted. Odd thing is that monitor setting says that audio output for RV-chip lists analog only..

What to do?

Comment

Do you use pulseaudio?
                    With ubuntu 10.04 sound over hdmi works fine with fglrx.

I got a hd 4650 mobility card.

Comment

Working...
                    X