Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 vs. Fedora 20 Beta Benchmarks

Phoronix: Fedora 19 vs. Fedora 20 Beta Benchmarks

With this week's release of Fedora 20 Beta, I have carried out some benchmarks comparing the performance of Fedora 19 to this latest development release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

With this week's release of Fedora 20 Beta, I have carried out some benchmarks comparing the performance of Fedora 19 to this latest development release.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19342
    1. fedora updates his distro much more aggressive than ubuntu or debian does it
    2. fedora 20 has the same mesa version I think?

so what did u think would have been changed much since fedora 19 (with updates), ok they use a newer kernel verison, but thats it, and for gaming that normaly should not matter that much.

But maybe I am wrong here, would be happy to get corrected with better information

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      1. fedora updates his distro much more aggressive than ubuntu or debian does it
      2. fedora 20 has the same mesa version I think?

so what did u think would have been changed much since fedora 19 (with updates), ok they use a newer kernel verison, but thats it, and for gaming that normaly should not matter that much.

But maybe I am wrong here, would be happy to get corrected with better information
      Depends on the changes made in the kernel. Kernel changes that bump performance could be better memory management, DPM, or PCI-E changes, or there could be a few others but those were just off the top of my head.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Note, the stuff in the release notes about 'debug symbols' and slub_debug=- was copied over from the Alpha release notes incorrectly: Beta has a non-debug kernel, and the results should be fairly comparable.

The case with that one benchmark suite where f19+updates is massively faster than f20 seems odd; do you have any time to try and get a bit more detail there? I'd have to assume it's something wonky with the test setup or the benchmark itself, but it's possible there's something more to it...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19342
          Michael, check the Reaction Quake graph b/c the line graph doesn't agree with the bar graph. The bar graph indicates that fps is nearly constant while the frame draw times are all over the place.

Comment

Working...
          X