Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future Of Fedora Gets Debated, Again

Phoronix: The Future Of Fedora Gets Debated, Again

Being hotly discussed this weekend within the Fedora development camp is in regards to the future direction of the Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, even Fedora developers have finally realized people need something stable and supported for a long time.

Alas, LTS distros are also unusable given the current Linux development model.

Comment

"Radej has witnessed that most of the Fedora mailing list discussions end up degrading into scolding and personal insults rather than accepting constructive criticism"

quelle suprise

This is how you fix fedora:

- the rpmfusion repos are integrated in the normal repos

- make a fedora software center a la ubuntu

- make yearly releases, one a year, and support those releases for one extra year. fedora 2013 will be supported for 2013 and 2014 even if there's a fedora 2014 already.

- adopt the most popular gnome extensions and theme it so it looks good.

there

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        This is how you fix fedora:

- the rpmfusion repos are integrated in the normal repos

- make a fedora software center a la ubuntu

- make yearly releases, one a year, and support those releases for one extra year. fedora 2013 will be supported for 2013 and 2014 even if there's a fedora 2014 already.

- adopt the most popular gnome extensions and theme it so it looks good.
        rpmfusion - never (DMCA and shit)
        software center - what for when there's PackageKit
        make sense, but release every second year - support for at least three years
        no comments - I don't use Gnome

Comment

Fedora_has_obsolete_packages

I'm using Fedora 18 Nightly Build and Fedora has very obsolete packages (example: fotoxx, xboard, lazarus). I have contacte the maintainers, but they didn't do anything.

eduardojorge

Comment

Originally posted by eduardojorge View Post
            I'm using Fedora 18 Nightly Build and Fedora has very obsolete packages (example: fotoxx, xboard, lazarus). I have contacte the maintainers, but they didn't do anything.

eduardojorge
            I wonder how many people have gone through the hassle of following the procedures outlined here: Fedora's policy for nonresponsive package maintainers - it's inhuman and looks more like an insult, than something you can and will want to do. In short - Fedora's developers do not give a fuck about their own distro.

The sad fact of life is that there are hundreds of unmaintained packages in Fedora.
            Last edited by birdie; 09 December 2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Wow, even Fedora developers have finally realized people need something stable and supported for a long time.
              That's what RHEL and CentOS are for. Fedora needs to become a rolling-release distro, focusing on the Rawhide branch and GNOME development. They put too much time/energy into trying to get a perfect snapshot/release of something inherently chaotic (the bleeding edge of Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by eduardojorge View Post
                Same story with gtick and docky:

It is very sad actually, since even Debian now has these packages updated.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  That's what RHEL and CentOS are for. Fedora needs to become a rolling-release distro, focusing on the Rawhide branch and GNOME development. They put too much time/energy into trying to get a perfect snapshot/release of something inherently chaotic (the bleeding edge of Linux).
                  This, this, a million times this!

I want a true rolling distribution that is on the cutting edge, yet not bleeding edge.

Then they could also release about once every 2 years a snapshot tagged as LTS version that would have support like ubuntu LTS has.

Stable&worry-free for casual users via LTS & on the cutting edge for enthusiasts via fedora-next.

RHEL would still have its purpose for business/server.
                  Last edited by varikonniemi; 09 December 2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

A new snapshot every 2 years? We already have Debian, and we all know it's not what current Fedora users would like to see.

Comment

Working...
                    X