Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ET: Quake Wars Threaded Renderer

Phoronix: ET: Quake Wars Threaded Renderer

Accompanied by an updated Windows release, last week id Software had released its Enemy Territory: Quake Wars v1.4 update for Linux. We have previously shared most of the details surrounding this major ET: Quake Wars update with the same changes as the Windows build. One of the most interesting features, however, is the new threaded renderer for improved multi-core performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For me it is faster performance. Probably about a 25% improvement.
    UPDATE: I actually wasn't using the threaded render binary, but Ill try it now. I did get a speed increase just from the patch from what I can tell

Im using an intel core2 quad q6600, but I am getting crashes from something...

In the log I can see some messages about alsa errors.. im using the onboard intel hda

Nvidia 8800 gt, with the latest module...

ubuntu gutsy
    Last edited by oneman; 20 January 2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Now that I've tried the threaded renderer, Id say it is faster for me than the normal one in gameplay, i can even manage 2x anti aliasing / 8x antiscoptic on my 8800gt / core 2 quad, but the anti aliasing slows down stuff a bit. theres so many edges in the game that the anti aliasing makes it easier to see, but since the fps is lower its hard to decide whats the better option

also the threaded renderer hasn't crashed for me... yet

Comment

I think you guys are doing it wrong. I only have a dual core system, and I don't see any change in performance at all (maybe 1fps greater) when using -rthread. But I DEFINITELY don't see a reduction in frames.

Take note: Running the game with ./etqw-rthread.x86 is not enough.

You must also +set r_useThreadedRenderer "2", either on the command line when starting or within the user's cfg file.

Please re-run your benchmarks with these settings.

Comment

64bit binary?

Has there been any mentioning of a 64bit binary?

Comment

hrmph, i dunno maybe the threded binary is running slow, i dunno, I havn't tried the cvar tho, is there any standard timedemo or something like that for actually doing a somewhat scientific benchmark?

Comment

running the rthred binary with that cvar at 0 or 2 is worse than the normal binary on my quad core. havn't tried 1 yet

Comment

setting it to one seems just as bad, its probably a thread priority issue. perhaps the sched is to blame in some way, im using gutsy default on ( 22 ) but maybe cfs or staircase would do better, but im just talking out of my ass

Comment

even tho the threaded render is not figured out yet, the 1.4 patch was a definite performance improvement for me

Comment

This patch is an improvement, parts of the game are smoother (and the ballance tweaks are good)

As far as the threadedrenderer... jury's out.
                    I setup a 5min time demo (some flying,crashing,blowing up...) and running the etqw.x86 I got 79fps. Using the etqw-rthread.x86 (with threadedrenderer set to 2 AND ensuring that the modded libSDL is loaded) I got 79.4fps

ie no change. This is on a Core2 E6600 and a 7900gt. The thing is since QuakeWars has come out it has NEVER saturated my CPU, even now it sits at 85% of one of the cores (the 2nd is at 0.7% taking some services).

Others in my clan (with quads and 8800's) also say while that patch feels nicer, raw improvements haven't appeared.

So it looks like the testing done here wasn't done fully BUT threadedrenderer isn't fully setup for linux

Comment

Working...
                    X