42 Best Free Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 Best Free Linux Games

42 of the Best Free Linux Games Article.

See what you have played here and discuss your thoughts.

I played TORCs before... like a couple of years back so my thoughts probably won't apply.

Back then, I found the physics to be way off. WAAAAAAY OFF.

It was hard to play. Cars were unresponsive and understeered like crazy. It definitely needs some physics tweak, but graphics will pass. It has the homebrew scent all over it, which isn't a bad thing.

Controller support was also not very good. Analog steering is a must. Maybe I'll try it again. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    42 of the Best Free Linux Games Article.

See what you have played here and discuss your thoughts.

I played TORCs before... like a couple of years back so my thoughts probably won't apply.

Back then, I found the physics to be way off. WAAAAAAY OFF.

It was hard to play. Cars were unresponsive and understeered like crazy. It definitely needs some physics tweak, but graphics will pass. It has the homebrew scent all over it, which isn't a bad thing.

Controller support was also not very good. Analog steering is a must. Maybe I'll try it again. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Well, honestly, I think that list is more harmful then good.

Lets look at it from a windows users perspective (although I've use linux pretty much exclusively for 10 years), out of the 42 games listed, There are maybe 4-5 that don't look out of the Windows 95 era. When you see things KMahjongg listed asone of the best games for linux it's a pretty sad day. Sure it works, but really, I programmed the same game for DOS with pretty much the same graphics on a 286 with EGA graphics in DOS in ASSEMBLER (chasm IIRC).

Windows users (hell even users of extinct gaming systems like 3DO) would laugh at most of those titles. It just adds more fuel to the fire that linux suxs for gaming (NO I AM NOT SAYING IT IS NOT CAPABLE OF SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH MORE!!!!)

Comment

Frozen Bubble FTW!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

Lets look at it from a windows users perspective (although I've use linux pretty much exclusively for 10 years), out of the 42 games listed, There are maybe 4-5 that don't look out of the Windows 95 era. When you see things KMahjongg listed asone of the best games for linux it's a pretty sad day. Sure it works, but really, I programmed the same game for DOS with pretty much the same graphics on a 286 with EGA graphics in DOS in ASSEMBLER (chasm IIRC).

Windows users (hell even users of extinct gaming systems like 3DO) would laugh at most of those titles. It just adds more fuel to the fire that linux suxs for gaming (NO I AM NOT SAYING IT IS NOT CAPABLE OF SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH MORE!!!!)
        Yup, I agree. I saw one of the roleplaying games listed and it seemed to harken the days of the SSI D&D Goldbox era. There are some more PC hardware testy games though.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post

actually alot of game sales are towards games like Mahjongg/Luxor, it's called "casual gaming", and since games get developed as an answer to a need, maybe those games are there for a reason... even if you don't play them :P

Comment

The folks are back with a list of "best" commercia Linux games.

Comment

Interesting that Alpha Centauri (A Civ2 variant for those who don't know it) didn't make the list...

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                Interesting that Alpha Centauri (A Civ2 variant for those who don't know it) didn't make the list...
                Variant, I would not call it. In the same genre, I'd believe.

As for it in the "best list"; most of the Loki games run hit-or-miss these days on boxes because of an ABI change that screws things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Variant, I would not call it. In the same genre, I'd believe.

As for it in the "best list"; most of the Loki games run hit-or-miss these days on boxes because of an ABI change that screws things up.
                  It looks, and plays, like it's civ2 with a different skin and slight tweaks to how government and unit design works.

And I believe the ABI problems are fixable with a wrapper, I know I never had any major problems with HoMM3, at least in single player.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                    It looks, and plays, like it's civ2 with a different skin and slight tweaks to how government and unit design works.
                    Fair enough- on retrospect, you're right...

And I believe the ABI problems are fixable with a wrapper, I know I never had any major problems with HoMM3, at least in single player.
                    Heh... I guess I need to check into that then- I've got a few Loki published titles, including CTP and Alpha Centauri, both of which are amongst my favorite games.

Comment

Working...
                    X