Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.5.1 Brings Bug Fixes

Phoronix: Mesa 7.5.1 Brings Bug Fixes

As a follow up to the Mesa 7.5 release that occurred back in mid-July, Brian Paul has now announced the release of Mesa 7.5.1. This point release brings a number of bug fixes and minor improvements, while a plethora of new work over the past few months has been going into what shall become Mesa 7.6.Among the fixes making up Mesa 7.5.1 is eliminating the swap-buffers jerkiness with the Intel driver in Doom 3 and other games, minor GLX memory leaks, a few Gallium3D bug-fixes, and miscellaneous OpenGL bug fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa is a nice project. Too bad X sucks.

Comment

It's other way around buddy.

Comment

Hmm, care to enlighten me on that?

Comment

No problem, try using mesa for what it is meant, you will quickly find out that it doesn't even support hardware OpenGL 2.0 or Shaders. And what is its purpose? Draw, perform, or render something useful, instead of a triangle. What's wrong with X? Nothing really.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            No problem, try using mesa for what it is meant, you will quickly find out that it doesn't even support hardware OpenGL 2.0 or Shaders. And what is its purpose? Draw, perform, or render something useful, instead of a triangle. What's wrong with X? Nothing really.
            Whining is easy. Why don't you try writing a driver for a modern GPU to see what it takes?

The developers are working on OpenGL support, but stuff like this isn't implemented out of thin air.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Whining is easy. Why don't you try writing a driver for a modern GPU to see what it takes?

The developers are working on OpenGL support, but stuff like this isn't implemented out of thin air.
              Isn't it as easy as adding this to the driver code:

Code:
              sudo support={openGL 3.2}
              I'm not a real h4x0r or even a codemonkey, so I wouldn't know for sure..

/end joke

Anyway, I'm very happy to see my X1600 now supporting openGL 1.5 in Ubuntu Karmic, since AMD gave up supporting my card (though I will probably get a new system before real solid 3d acc. arives for this chip). But this is through 7.6, right? Where will the 7.5.1 end up - will distros using 7.5 upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post

He just corrected the previous poster that it is Mesa that actually sucks not X. He didn't come in here complaining so I guess your statement should have been aimed towards the first poster.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                  Mesa supports hardware OpenGL 2.1 and shaders.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                    He just corrected the previous poster that it is Mesa that actually sucks not X. He didn't come in here complaining so I guess your statement should have been aimed towards the first poster.
                    The first poster didn't claim that Mesa sucks.

And no, Mesa does not suck. Gallium3D does not suck. Shaders are already supported. GLSL support is underway.

Besides, this is an open source project. Whine that x sucks without lifting a finger to help and people will simply laugh at you. Even more so if the whining is without merit.

You don't need to be a developer to file a bug report, either. And if you don't have any bugs to report, then the project doesn't suck by definition.

Comment

Working...
                    X