Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSuSE: Xorg 100% CPU and system freezed

I've two different systems:
    - a Dell Precision T5400 Workstation with 8GB RAM, dual Xeon Quad-Core and a nVidia Quadro FX 550 (256MB VRAM)
    - a Dual Opteron 8-core (6128), 32GB RAM and a AMD Radeon 6870 (1GB VRAM)
    On the two systems, I have installed openSuSE 12.1 with the proprietary video drivers for their respective graphics cards.

Sometimes suddenly (more often on the Dell workstation), the Xorg process get stucks and goes up to 100% CPU utilization (on a single core, it don't spread over all the cores), and the system become unresponsive.
    I can connect through ssh, but I've no chances to stop or kill the stucked Xorg process.

The Magic SysRQ keys are still responsive despite the keyboard seems dead (leds are also unresponsive) and I can force some sync then a poweroff of the system to try to leave the filesystem more consistent than a brutal reset or hard poweroff.

Someone has experienced similar behavior on openSuSE or different distribution?

I've not finded any bug report. I've experienced this issue also in openSuSE 11.4 (I've upgraded to 12.1 only 2 weeks ago).

Thanks.

I got (I think) the very same problem on a Dell Machine running Fedora 12.

The Monitors freeze, the Keyboard + Mouse do not respond. The LEDs on the Keyboard are dead. ssh is possible and usb detection works fine (unplugging and plugging in gets the device to be detected by the system, but there is still no response from the actual machine.

I first thought it might be an usb problem but this seems to be unlikely given, that the devices are detected but just not responding..

The only way I have found yet was to shutdown and restart the system which I would really like to avoid...

Comment

Working...
    X