Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Linus Rant About Linux DRM; Rejects Pull

Phoronix: Another Linus Rant About Linux DRM; Rejects Pull

Linus Torvalds is known to make a few colorful remarks from time to time. Today he's become frustrated once again with the Linux DRM layer and has rejected a pull request for the Linux 3.2 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I mean, this is pure gossip.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      I mean, this is pure gossip.
      you have to admit however that linus's rants spice things up a bit

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        you have to admit however that linus's rants spice things up a bit
        But when he reaches for the "masturbating monkeys" rant, shit gets real!

Comment

Kind of sucks that the kernel has only one real release cycle that's effectively forced upon everybody , even those who don't run "debian stable" so to speak, and have such hardcore stability needs that they would rather delay applying a patch that fixes something known to be broken in order to avoid the much smaller possibility of a regression.

I say "effectively" forced upon everyone because nobody has the time to maintain a branch for backporting DRM and legitimate, "lower risk" fixes which just happen to land in the middle of a release cycle. Now that zen-unstable is dead, and linux-next isn't in what I'd call a usable state for most people, there aren't a lot of alternatives to the vanilla kernel.

Comment

It's not only for DRM

Everything after -rc1 should be about regressions caused by -rc1 (the merge window). Linus has been clear about it, and DRM is not special in any way, it should follow the same rules.

Comment

radeon kms fix?

I have a question, any one know what that radeon kms fix was for?

Comment

There are release schedules for a reason. If someone want to add new features or fixes for old bugs, there is a time for that. -rc4 isn't it. I am sure reasonable exceptions can be made, but it seems like Linus feels the DRM people are abusing the process and just outright ignoring the schedule, and I don't think that is okay. The whole point of an RC cycle is to test things, and you can't test things properly if they keep changing.

Comment

Hooray, more sensationalist tabloid crap...

Comment

Good for Linus. He's got standards for software quality. If you're going to push untested crap into tree when the window opens, don't expect to push large patches to said crap in later rc's.

Comment

Working...
                    X