Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pleasant Surprise In Mesa 8.1 Radeon Gallium3D

Phoronix: A Pleasant Surprise In Mesa 8.1 Radeon Gallium3D

When running some tests on the latest Mesa 8.1-devel Gallium3D code-base for the "R600" Radeon Gallium3D driver, I was surprised by some of the results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Needs more windows(wine) games tests.

Needs more windows(wine) games tests. Now that would be a surprise. Been hoping for it for quite some time now. Using Mesa 7.9 on x1300 mobility, WoW runs. Using mesa 8.0 on Evergreen hardware (Juniper), it doesn't.

Since wine is doing better with every release, and games start working more and more (Skyrim, Crysis 2, Dragonage 2, albeit using blobs), we should see how Mesa handles windows games.

Comment

Originally posted by dekomote View Post
      Skyrim, Crysis 2, Dragonage 2, albeit using blobs
      Why? Skyrim renders extremely well on Open Source radeon. The frame rate seems not to be jumpy, but it is still very low. But on low settings it actually is starting to get playable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LDAd_oFzgU
      There are also videos of Crysis 2 on Open Source radeon that don't look that bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_T_xepfW8

It would be nice if those games could be benchmarked by the phoronix testsuite but I guess they would need free to play demos with FPS measurement for that...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Why? Skyrim renders extremely well on Open Source radeon. The frame rate seems not to be jumpy, but it is still very low. But on low settings it actually is starting to get playable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LDAd_oFzgU
        There are also videos of Crysis 2 on Open Source radeon that don't look that bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_T_xepfW8
        Well, Just yesterday I tested out Mesa 8.0 on Arch with 3.2.7 kernel, HD6770, i3-2120, it didn't work. Anything i'm missing out?

Comment

Well, Just yesterday I tested out Mesa 8.0 on Arch with 3.2.7 kernel, HD6770, i3-2120, it didn't work. Anything i'm missing out?
          A detailed bug report :-P

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            A detailed bug report :-P
            Don't tease me. I lost half my day yesterday testing out mesa 8.0 Anyway, at least for Wow, the same error that was prior mesa 8.0 is here as well (at least on evergreen hardware). I only need Wow to work... (not for me. for my wife :|)

Comment

Needs more windows(wine) games tests. Now that would be a surprise. Been hoping for it for quite some time now. Using Mesa 7.9 on x1300 mobility, WoW runs. Using mesa 8.0 on Evergreen hardware (Juniper), it doesn't.

Since wine is doing better with every release, and games start working more and more (Skyrim, Crysis 2, Dragonage 2, albeit using blobs), we should see how Mesa handles windows games.
              I have played WoW on Evergreen, and Fallout 3, Bioshock, Crysis etc. If it doesn't work for you it's either a regression or possibly something hardware specific (I'm using Redwood not Juniper).

Comment

@phoronix, two advices for openbenchmarking.org. You might want to change the mouse to a pointer when someone hovers over one of the tabs, and on the tab 'compute performance', you should fix 'runnning' and 'Phoronx'.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                  I have played WoW on Evergreen, and Fallout 3, Bioshock, Crysis etc. If it doesn't work for you it's either a regression or possibly something hardware specific (I'm using Redwood not Juniper).
                  Can you specify Mesa/wine version? I can't even launch Wow. There's a weird error #132. Same wine, same prefix, works with blob, doesn't work with Mesa. Tried WINEDEBUG, nothing relevant.

Comment

I don't recall exact versions (I'm mostly running stuff from git) but it shouldn't matter.

You might want to make sure that you have the proper drivers (especially if you're on a 64bit system).

Comment

Working...
                    X