Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLAMOR Acceleration Makes It Into Ubuntu 13.10

Phoronix: GLAMOR Acceleration Makes It Into Ubuntu 13.10

One week after writing about the sad state of RadeonSI / GLAMOR support in Ubuntu 13.10, the GLAMOR EGL library has made it through the Saucy Salamander's queue and landed into the archive for next month's Ubuntu 13.10 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GLAMOR is enabled by default in the radeon drivers now, this is not at all something that Canonical has done, all distributions will get this.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      GLAMOR is enabled by default in the radeon drivers now, this is not at all something that Canonical has done, all distributions will get this.
      GLAMOR was not included in 13.10 archive before feature freeze. So what $BOSS said
      Canonical does what is necessary for the end user! Great work! Keep going!
      Is true

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        Once again, Canonical does what is necessary for the end user! Great work! Keep going! Forget the haters!
        So if Fedora does the same even for Fedora 18 since May:

which is not the next release, and not even their latest stable release, but their second latest stable: how should we call that? A miracle?

I don't dislike Ubuntu, but packaging something is good, not something I'd call an extraordinary contribution. Before thanking Canonical (which I do), I'd thank Glamor developer, and Fedora packagers for opening the way.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Once again, Canonical does what is necessary for the end user! Great work! Keep going! Forget the haters!
          Gentoo also has Glamor since May 2012 (and in stable version since Nov 2012)...

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Hmm, I tried a saucy daily image yesterday on my 7850 desktop and wasn't able to get anything other than llvmpipe still (at least from glxinfo), even after installing the GLAMOR module (grabbed it from package manager; had to also move the glamoregl.so file to a specific folder for Xorg to pick it up).

Not sure if I was doing something wrong or if that's just how it's supposed to be? Is there a way to verify that I'm running GLAMOR acceleration and that I have 3D hardware acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
              Hmm, I tried a saucy daily image yesterday on my 7850 desktop and wasn't able to get anything other than llvmpipe still (at least from glxinfo), even after installing the GLAMOR module (grabbed it from package manager; had to also move the glamoregl.so file to a specific folder for Xorg to pick it up).

Not sure if I was doing something wrong or if that's just how it's supposed to be? Is there a way to verify that I'm running GLAMOR acceleration and that I have 3D hardware acceleration?
              The article is misleading. Glamor is disabled by default in xf86-video-ati, so there is no acceleration for Radeon SI. The glamor packages are currently useless.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                The article is misleading. Glamor is disabled by default in xf86-video-ati, so there is no acceleration for Radeon SI. The glamor packages are currently useless.
                Thanks for the clarification Marek. Can it be flipped on with a boot parameter or does it require recompiling xf86-video-ati with a particular flag? In either case, what is the correct parameter/flag to use?

Comment

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
                  Thanks for the clarification Marek. Can it be flipped on with a boot parameter or does it require recompiling xf86-video-ati with a particular flag? In either case, what is the correct parameter/flag to use?
                  Manual recompilation of xf86-video-ati is required, but glamor must be installed first. If you didn't get xf86-video-ati from git, use the --enable-glamor configure option.

Comment

Working...
                  X