Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Video Of The Source Engine On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: A Video Of The Source Engine On Ubuntu Linux

Here's a very brief video of Left 4 Dead 2, one of Valve's Source Engine games, with the OpenGL renderer running natively on Ubuntu 11.10 with the AMD Catalyst driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This video needs a disclaimer: blink and you'll miss it.

Comment

Wow, a whopping 14 seconds of shitty iPhone quality video. I guess that's how long it took before fglrx caused a kernel panic

Comment

michael i think you need to invest in a proper camcorder or a camera with good video capturing

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          michael i think you need to invest in a proper camcorder or a camera with good video capturing
          I did have two HD cameras on me (Flip HD and a Nikon D5000 that can record 720p HD), but just used my iPhone 4S as just wanted to record a really quick video. With not revealing too much Valve Linux information at this time, and was told not to show the other Linux systems running in this cabal, I did this as just to be 'good enough' for indicating it running.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
            Wow, a whopping 14 seconds of shitty iPhone quality video. I guess that's how long it took before fglrx caused a kernel panic
            This made me laugh so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
              This made me laugh so hard.
              Why? It's a progress, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Why? It's a progress, after all.
                You misunderstood me. I'm totally stoked about Valve's work! I don't think anyone can fathom what their contribution to linux actually means. In 5-10 years, if what Michael says and express through his excitement is true, where will linux be? How (and how fast) will it have evolved? Looking back, it will be amazing to think that this low fidelity video provided a glimpse of what was to come.

The humor from your posting just reminded me of all the issues I've experienced when using fglrx and what other people experience with the driver. It's more from personal experiences than anything you said.

Comment

Well, it's better than nothing. I didn't really disbelieve it in the first place.

Comment

Video? There was a video?
                    I just saw a still image shaking around until I felt so much nausea... but then it was gladly over.
                    Come on, Michael, you can do better than this.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X