Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUSE Gets I/O Performance Improvements

Phoronix: FUSE Gets I/O Performance Improvements

The FUSE module, which allows for file-systems to be run from user-space, can now process direct I/O a-synchronously. This a-synchronous direct I/O can lead to very noticeable performance improvements for FUSE-based file-systems like ZFS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's not enough.

FUSE absolutely sucks when your IO chunk is less than a few megabytes - and even if you read/write data using large/continuous chunks of data, CPU usage is just inexcusable.

Comment

Please, Michael, "asynchronous" is not spelt with a hyphen.

(and for Americans, "spelt" is the Commonwealth spelling of "spelled")

Comment

functionality is good

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        That's not enough.

FUSE absolutely sucks when your IO chunk is less than a few megabytes - and even if you read/write data using large/continuous chunks of data, CPU usage is just inexcusable.
        INEXCUSABLE! What a GREAT word! You say there is NO EXCUSE! Not spending tons of development time for dubious results is NO EXCUSE? REALLY?

Since there is NO EXCUSE, not even YOUR inability to fix it is an excuse! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET ON IT! NO EXCUSES!

Because everything that isn't 100% efficient is totally useless?

Even though every other alternative is a tremendous pain in the butt? Really human brain cycles are free while computer cycles are most costly?

Because you have SO MANY important things happening on your computer all at once and they can't be disrupted by anything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
          Please, Michael, "asynchronous" is not spelt with a hyphen.

(and for Americans, "spelt" is the Commonwealth spelling of "spelled")
          It's also a hot breakfast cereal, good with maple syrup

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
            INEXCUSABLE! What a GREAT word! You say there is NO EXCUSE! Not spending tons of development time for dubious results is NO EXCUSE? REALLY?

Since there is NO EXCUSE, not even YOUR inability to fix it is an excuse! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET ON IT! NO EXCUSES!

Because everything that isn't 100% efficient is totally useless?

Even though every other alternative is a tremendous pain in the butt? Really human brain cycles are free while computer cycles are most costly?

Because you have SO MANY important things happening on your computer all at once and they can't be disrupted by anything else?
            Pro tip: you can use
            HTML Code:
            [i]text[/i]
            to emphasise your text without resorting to all caps.

Comment

I read a news here on Phoronix about a Linux distro that used Zfs without fuse, just with an external kernel module (so it doesn't violate the CDDL/GPL licenses). It would be a good way to use it. Fuse, despite this improvements, is really slow when fs are used "seriously".

Comment

Originally posted by kertoxol View Post
                I read a news here on Phoronix about a Linux distro that used Zfs without fuse, just with an external kernel module (so it doesn't violate the CDDL/GPL licenses). It would be a good way to use it. Fuse, despite this improvements, is really slow when fs are used "seriously".
                I'm pretty sure it taints the kernel once you load it, and can't be distributed pre-linked.

You personally can use it without violating the licences, and distribute either the module or kernel seperately and be okay, but you can't distribute the result of mixing the two.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                  It's also a hot breakfast cereal, good with maple syrup
                  More accurately, it's a variety of wheat used in that breakfast...

Comment

Working...
                  X