Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCI express or memory being the bottlenexk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI express or memory being the bottlenexk.

Howdy.

I have a computer with no available pcie 8 slots, due to controller cards occupying the large Pcie slots, i have one avail pcie x1, For which I was stupid enough to buy a pcie card(didn't know that i could use a pcie 8 card in a pcie slot (modify slot so the back end is open)).
    Gigabyte 790 FX UD3.
    Phenom 2 x B50 (unlocked cores.)
    8 gb DDr3 1600..
    HIS amd 5450 with 512 mb DDR2.

Screens: 1. DVI 1900x1200
    2. VGA 1200x1024.
    Driver: AMD 12.8 (Blop).
    Setup: Multi display with 2 monitors.
    Videoplayer: VLC with hardware decoding. Movie player.
    After setting up the display with 2 monitors, i have slow video playback. Esp with HD 1080. If i reduce to just one screen, then no problem. But with 2 screens then it's unbearable. So where is the bottle neck. To little gfx memory? og due to the pcie 1 bandwith limitation. I am unable to enable tear free desktop due to lack of memory so i am thinking lack of memory esp with the large dekstop.

Kind Regards
    Brutalix.

Originally posted by Brutalix View Post
    Howdy.

I have a computer with no available pcie 8 slots, due to controller cards occupying the large Pcie slots, i have one avail pcie x1, For which I was stupid enough to buy a pcie card(didn't know that i could use a pcie 8 card in a pcie slot (modify slot so the back end is open)).
    Gigabyte 790 FX UD3.
    Phenom 2 x B50 (unlocked cores.)
    8 gb DDr3 1600..
    HIS amd 5450 with 512 mb DDR2.
    This alone states the whole issue... The HD5450 w/ ddr2 memory is painfully slow... I bet the video card bus is also 64-bit... If you want usable AMD/ATI cards you need a minimum of 128-bit memory bus, and if you can afford it, GDDR5 memory.

Originally posted by Brutalix View Post
    Screens: 1. DVI 1900x1200
    2. VGA 1200x1024.
    Driver: AMD 12.8 (Blop).
    Setup: Multi display with 2 monitors.
    Videoplayer: VLC with hardware decoding. Movie player.
    After setting up the display with 2 monitors, i have slow video playback. Esp with HD 1080. If i reduce to just one screen, then no problem. But with 2 screens then it's unbearable. So where is the bottle neck. To little gfx memory? og due to the pcie 1 bandwith limitation. I am unable to enable tear free desktop due to lack of memory so i am thinking lack of memory esp with the large dekstop.

Kind Regards
    Brutalix.
    The bottle neck in this case is most definitely the PCI-E 1x slot. Changing to a full size PCI-E The main thing is the slot being full-length and capable of at least PCI-E 4x speed. However, the 4x speed will lower performance a little bit, but no where as much as having slow memory on the gpu (64-bit ddr2 is super slow these days ).

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
      This alone states the whole issue... The HD5450 w/ ddr2 memory is painfully slow... I bet the video card bus is also 64-bit... If you want usable AMD/ATI cards you need a minimum of 128-bit memory bus, and if you can afford it, GDDR5 memory.

The bottle neck in this case is most definitely the PCI-E 1x slot. Changing to a full size PCI-E The main thing is the slot being full-length and capable of at least PCI-E 4x speed. However, the 4x speed will lower performance a little bit, but no where as much as having slow memory on the gpu (64-bit ddr2 is super slow these days ).
      Actually in This case I switched gfx card with a 7750 with 1 gig of gdr5 in the same 1 x pciexpress slot. Now the movie runs smoothly so it seems that for large desktops DDR2 with 64 bit bus is too slow for 1080p when desktop is 3100 x 1200

But thanks for the advice it spurred me in to getting a new gfx card.

Kind regards.
      Brut

Comment

Working...
      X