Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnash Flash Player Hasn't Seen A Release In One Year

Phoronix: Gnash Flash Player Hasn't Seen A Release In One Year

Gnash, the GPL-licensed SWF / Flash Player that's backed by the Free Software Foundation as a high-priority project, is still far behind Adobe's now defunct Linux Flash Player and it's been more than one year since the last release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not that I don't appreciate the effort of the developers, but it was always too far behind to be useful anyway, it really only sort of worked on a handful of sites.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
      Not that I don't appreciate the effort of the developers, but it was always too far behind to be useful anyway, it really only sort of worked on a handful of sites.

Same with any other FLOSS Flash implementation. :/ They can't work on it as they like because they do not have the resources to do as they like.
      Honestly, Gnash is the most mature FLOSS flash implementation there is right now. So you can't reallyt say anything bad about it unless you just hate any project 'endorsed' by the FSF.

Comment

New release

I hope we see a new release of it soon.

One year since last release is a long time, it would be nice with a new release so we can enjoy the fruits of all the work thats been going on in the past year.

Comment

I'd also assume that while flash is still alive and well today, with more sites migrating to HTML5, videos using flash will quickly become the exception to the rule.

Great jobs devs, we all really appreciate your work! However, I think Gnash, along with flash, will become deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
            I'd also assume that while flash is still alive and well today, with more sites migrating to HTML5, videos using flash will quickly become the exception to the rule.

Great jobs devs, we all really appreciate your work! However, I think Gnash, along with flash, will become deprecated.
            With all the old flash material around on the web, I say...good luck with that.

Comment

Ugh

Grrrr. Just drag your feet people until it's too late. Eventually Linux users will start getting errors about how they need to 'upgrade' their Flash version. This is one of those times I wish I could code, would absolutely love to sit down and code all day making something like this work.

I think the problem is, most devs are busy with other projects and deem this as not important right now. A lot of people are pinning their hopes on HTML5, even though places like Daily motion have ended their trial run and deemed it as not usable.

I wonder if some kind of Kickstarter project to 100% duplicate functionality of Flash on Linux would work?. That seems like the only way to get any alternative on Linux these days, otherwise development is slower than Turtles racing.

Those 'Family' reasons sure to stick a Crowbar in the Cogs huh! lol. Maybe we should stay in our basements.

Comment

From what I understand, Gnash is mostly in maintenance mode now. (This applies to lightspark too to a lesser extent)

The reason is that the developers have recognized Mozilla Shumway as the most promising approach to open-source flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                  Grrrr. Just drag your feet people until it's too late. Eventually Linux users will start getting errors about how they need to 'upgrade' their Flash version. This is one of those times I wish I could code, would absolutely love to sit down and code all day making something like this work.
                  Well what stops you from sitting down and learning to code all day?

Comment

Working...
                  X