Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Tropics Sets Linux OpenGL Precedent

Phoronix: Unigine Tropics Sets Linux OpenGL Precedence

Back in August we shared some of what we are doing to drive new graphics benchmarks on Linux through the Phoronix Test Suite. With that, we showcased Lightsmark 2008, which was ported to Linux for integration with the Phoronix Test Suite, and Unigine Sanctuary. Unigine Sanctuary showcased the latest work from Unigine Corp, which is a Russian development studio focused on creating cross-platform middleware for virtual 3D worlds. The Unigine Sanctuary demo was stunning, but introduced with the Phoronix Test Suite 1.2 "Malvik" release last week was their latest technology benchmark. Unigine Tropics is an absolutely stunning test with impressive graphics capabilities and it really sets a new precedence for Linux graphics capabilities through its OpenGL renderer.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm so jealous Mike... First you get a 4870X2 then you get my monitor's new big brother... Now you're doing benchmarks at 2560x1600...

Whenever you get tired of those feel free to send em' my way okay buddy?

Comment

My, my, my... Say again what we needed D3D 10 for, Microsoft?

Comment

I just pulled the demos...

OUCH.

It crushed my box like a bug. 2-4 FPS. Gorgeous scenes, but pretty much slideshow territory.

Comment

Is Phoronix in touch with Nicolas Intoxicated regarding the progress of a Linux version of Afterfall?

Afterfall runs on Unigine, and it was announced as Windows/Linux before Nicolasgames funded Nicolas Intoxicated studio to develop Afterfall, and since then no new info was released, the state of a Linux game client is not clear.

Afterfall on Linux thread

Comment

Heh, I get around 1/7/11 FPS min/avg/max on my X1600
            I'm really looking forward to seeing the demo on my new system in October though, already looks pretty good on my today low-end card.

Comment

Average for a 7600GT is 4 fps. I can manage 7 with dinking with settings.

Average for a 8500GT with a slower CPU is 6fps with the 4 fps settings.

This beast needs a top-end card, whether it's AMD or NVidia supplying it.

Comment

Not impressive at all other than it manages to bring a high-end GPU to a halt without displaying gorgeous graphics. I guess this is Alpha software though. Where's the bottleneck? kernel? drivers? the program itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                  Is Phoronix in touch with Nicolas Intoxicated regarding the progress of a Linux version of Afterfall?

Afterfall runs on Unigine, and it was announced as Windows/Linux before Nicolasgames funded Nicolas Intoxicated studio to develop Afterfall, and since then no new info was released, the state of a Linux game client is not clear.

Afterfall on Linux thread
                  I've sent an inquiry to that game studio.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fackamato View Post
                    Not impressive at all other than it manages to bring a high-end GPU to a halt without displaying gorgeous graphics. I guess this is Alpha software though. Where's the bottleneck? kernel? drivers? the program itself?
                    Not sure about your experience, but in general this benchmark is completely GPU limited. Which means it will use every piece of GPU horsepower it can (or is allowed to by the drivers).

3DMark is much the same - 3DMark Vantage is barely nice to watch with a high-end card.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

Working...
                    X