Very fast 2D graphics in Lucid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very fast 2D graphics in Lucid!

Maybe this is not ATI specific at all, but I have to say 2D (Gtk) graphics feels blazingly fast on Lucid!
    Is it the new X server? I don't know really, because I've been running bleeding edge kernel and xorg-driver on Karmic for a while now and it's not nearly as fast.
    5 secs on a normal gtkperf run compared to 12 secs on Karmic for me!

r600/700 I suppose, r500 is fast enough in 9.10

Comment

Are you using KMS? How is it under that?

Comment

I was in a hurry so I didn't write many details.
        I have a Radeon 4770 and have been using KMS for most of the time it has been available.

It's actually unlike anything I've ever seen on Linux before, I suspect there are changes in both Gtk and Xorg.

As I said, newer kernel xorg and mesa on Karmic is still slower than Lucid. (I hope there are no regressions in the newer stuff, will test that...)

Comment

What kernel were you using on karmic? KMS stuff is mainly developed in kernel, although xorg ddx driver makes use of KMS inside of X. R600 code is very new so it isn't odd that you ecouraged such a great performace improvement.

I'm using HD3870, and gtkperf takes less than 6 seconds to complete here (less than 12 with KWin compositing enabled).

Comment

Originally posted by Wielkie G View Post
            What kernel were you using on karmic? KMS stuff is mainly developed in kernel, although xorg ddx driver makes use of KMS inside of X. R600 code is very new so it isn't odd that you ecouraged such a great performace improvement.

I'm using HD3870, and gtkperf takes less than 6 seconds to complete here (less than 12 with KWin compositing enabled).
            drm-radeon-testing from compiled from git: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...radeon-testing

So no, it's a bit odd because I had a newer kernel, newer mesa, newer ddx, newer most thing except x-server itself, and gtk.
            And it's also odd because it's such a BIG difference and because I've never seen anything that fast on Linux at all.

Comment

gtk got some rendering improvements in lucid. I dont recall which, but you can check the logs..

Comment

Originally posted by madman2k View Post
                gtk got some rendering improvements in lucid. I dont recall which, but you can check the logs..
                Do you think it's this?
                Overview of Changes from GTK+ 2.19.0 to 2.19.1
                ==============================================

* Client-side windows:
                - Avoid some unnecessary exposes
                - Avoid unnecessary redraws related to clearing windows

Comment

As of yesterday, or day before, I'm getting a huge regression in rendering speed on my desktop (Lucid, xorg-edgers, ATI HD3650)... Both 2D and 3D...
                  GTKPerf dropped from 5.00 (was less than 4 weeks ago) to 8+...

Comment

so I guess it was indeed the GTK work: https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lu....19.5-1ubuntu3

Comment

Working...
                    X