Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Nouveau GPU Re-Clocking On Linux 3.16

Phoronix: Trying Out Nouveau GPU Re-Clocking On Linux 3.16

With the Linux 3.16 kernel comes the ability to re-clock select NVIDIA GeForce GPUs when using the open-source, reverse-engineered Nouveau driver. Here's my first impressions with trying out this option to maximize the performance of NVIDIA graphics cards on open-source drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The benchmarks will be interesting! Could you include (archived) OSS-driver results from similar-priced AMD cards for reference?

Comment

Michael, Do you ever fear about hardware dying/breaking while doing these types of tests?

I'll probably wait until its at least 90% reliable before testing it out myself.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
        The benchmarks will be interesting! Could you include (archived) OSS-driver results from similar-priced AMD cards for reference?
        That would require he uses the same computer and setup, which with the way he seems to cycle through OSs, he probably doesn't have the same install anymore. Then again, I'm just assuming, I really have no fucking clue

Comment

It's a shame the fan goes instantly at 100%, it can't be considered usable until proper fan control is done.

Comment

Fans can be modded or put on hardware controllers

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            It's a shame the fan goes instantly at 100%, it can't be considered usable until proper fan control is done.
            If the only issue in reclocking was fan control, I'd wire the fans to a $5 rheostat from Radio Shack as a controller. I've got two of those on my current machine, one for the case fans, and one for the voltage-controlled fans on a big tower CPU cooler whose 135mm fans are only voltage controlled. Not enough control range and entirely too noisy, so I turn them down in normal use and full throttle them for video rendering jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              Fan management is done, the bug has been found (the temperature couldn't be read at higher clocks) and fixed ( http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~darktam...cfe77b36c66ca6 ).

Comment

It's probably better to make such tests on a laptop system (no fan, and as usual it's a good guess that some developers use laptops/thinkpads).

Comment

Some laptops have loud screeing fans

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                  It's probably better to make such tests on a laptop system (no fan, and as usual it's a good guess that some developers use laptops/thinkpads).
                  Laptops, even my little netbook, do in fact have fans. Some of these tiny, small-diameter fans make a loud screeeing noise when full throttled

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    Laptops, even my little netbook, do in fact have fans. Some of these tiny, small-diameter fans make a loud screeeing noise when full throttled
                    Yes, but they are not controlled by Nouveau

Comment

Working...
                    X