It's Now Made Easier Porting Jolla's Sailfish OS To New Android Phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Now Made Easier Porting Jolla's Sailfish OS To New Android Phones

Phoronix: It's Now Made Easier Porting Jolla's Sailfish OS To New Android Phones

This week Jolla has finally released their Hardware Adaptation Dev Kit (HADK) publicly to make it easier for enthusiasts/developers to port the Sailfish OS platform to new Android smart-phones...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is a guide (at the end of the article linking to an italian forum) about how to install it in N5 http://reviewjolla.blogspot.gr/2014/...genmod-11.html

But better buy a jolla. Less hassle.

Comment

Also alpha "Jolla launcher for Android" first update will be tomorrow.
      Jolla Launcher release notes Current release: Jolla Launcher Community Alpha release (v 0.2.1) On Monday 21st of July ...

They claim this time it works under ART.
      I am one of the 600 alpha testers that was invited to test this. In August it will go to beta so if you signed up to be a tester you'll get in next month.

It needs some improvements and bug fixes so it's good to see this get an update. This update is based on emulating previous Sailfish OS release.

Comment

Is this some sort of Sailfish/Android 'Frankenjollandroid' for Android-based phones? How far in, or down (obviously the hardware drivers), in to the SailfishOS system does the Android stuiff go? And what parts of my privacy are going to be affected with this Android integration stuff? I've been using pretty much OSS software on my phone, replacing all the GAPP's now as well*, but there's still that issue of the binary hardware drivers, and whatever else (my question, ultimately) is going in to the system to make these dual-OS phones work.

I want a Jolla phone, and happy to start using, testing, playing (and buying!) on my GS3 until I can get myself a Jenuine Jolla. However if this is just going to be privacy stir-pot, I might as well just stick with CyanogenMod.

*Damn that saves the battery. GAPPS likes to pound on it when you port-block thier garbage so you have no choice to let it through and use data, or nukleyour phone and dont install it if you had it installed. You can't get rid of all of it apparently, even with that script floating around.

Thank's in advance to any who are working on this stuff!
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          Is this some sort of Sailfish/Android 'Frankenjollandroid' for Android-based phones? How far in, or down (obviously the hardware drivers), in to the SailfishOS system does the Android stuiff go? And what parts of my privacy are going to be affected with this Android integration stuff? I've been using pretty much OSS software on my phone, replacing all the GAPP's now as well*, but there's still that issue of the binary hardware drivers, and whatever else (my question, ultimately) is going in to the system to make these dual-OS phones work.

I want a Jolla phone, and happy to start using, testing, playing (and buying!) on my GS3 until I can get myself a Jenuine Jolla. However if this is just going to be privacy stir-pot, I might as well just stick with CyanogenMod.

*Damn that saves the battery. GAPPS likes to pound on it when you port-block thier garbage so you have no choice to let it through and use data, or nukleyour phone and dont install it if you had it installed. You can't get rid of all of it apparently, even with that script floating around.

Thank's in advance to any who are working on this stuff!
          AFAIK it's as much frankenjolladroid as the original Jolla phone. Unfortunately most SoC manufacturers nowadays basically only support Android, so as they are a small company instead of fighting the Android tsunami, Jolla coded on top of it.

So in terms of binary blobs you're in the same situation as with your current Android install.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
            AFAIK it's as much frankenjolladroid as the original Jolla phone. Unfortunately most SoC manufacturers nowadays basically only support Android, so as they are a small company instead of fighting the Android tsunami, Jolla coded on top of it.

So in terms of binary blobs you're in the same situation as with your current Android install.
            Frankenjollandroid, spank you very much =D

I understand the binary driver bit. Wont be avoiding that obviously, but even on Jenuine Jolla's? I'm mostly about avoiding all the GAPPS and all the other shitty phone-home stuff that destroy's battery and data. Essentially I'm jsut trying to make my phone rock-solid AND private. Seemingly impossible, ay =) (I just bought a Nokia 301 today as I smashed my S3's face. Again....will see how this little Symbian-looking thing goes. I always enjoyed the old phones)

And judging by what was said elsewhere previously on these forums, SailfishOS's UX was proprietry too. I haven't seen that repeated elsewhere (yet), though. I just haven't dug enough in to it.

Anyway, here's hoping it's still a useful OS! I was just curious about the innards from someone more skilled at this stuff than I.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: It's Now Made Easier Porting Jolla's Sailfish OS To New Android Phones

This week Jolla has finally released their Hardware Adaptation Dev Kit (HADK) publicly to make it easier for enthusiasts/developers to port the Sailfish OS platform to new Android smart-phones...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0NTM
              This is great! Will try to get this running on my Xperia Z when there is some time...

Comment

drop me a pm if you do

Comment

Maybe if Sailfish had a purpose, I'd care more

At least Tizen can claim to be desktop Linux

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
                    Maybe if Sailfish had a purpose, I'd care more

At least Tizen can claim to be desktop Linux
                    Hey guys, while Jolla phone uses some Android drivers, the do use a lot of Linux components (unlike FirefoxOS, which uses much more things from Android, like the init system and some services for example).

Sailfish OS uses systemd, Wayland, glibc... Sailfish started using Wayland before Tizen!

As for Tizen itself, it's not more "desktop Linux" than Sailfish, unless you consider HTML5 "desktop Linux".

Comment

Working...
                    X