NVIDIA kernel module not loading at boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA kernel module not loading at boot

Hey folks, I'm hoping one of you can help me out with a problem I seem to be having with the NVIDIA proprietary drivers on one system.

Now to start out with, this system is my girlfriend's system, which just got a new processor/board/ram/case combo - pretty much everything but the drives were replaced. We didn't reinstall Ubuntu since I figured (correctly) all the necessary drivers were probably already compiled as modules and ready to go.

I'm using the latest NVIDIA proprietary drivers - 169.12. The rest of the system is up to date. After running the NVIDIA driver installer, everything runs perfectly...until a reboot. It seems that somewhere along the line an alternate nvidia kernel module is being loaded, but I can't find the booger in the module path, and when I modprobe -r nvidia; modprobe nvidia and restart gdm, everything works beautifully.

I'm pretty stumped -- I ran a find looking for nvidia modules on /lib/modules and it looked like everything there was created when I ran the installer. I really have no idea where this other nvidia module is coming from. I've made sure that all of the default nvidia packages have been removed from the system, but I can't figure out how to get rid of this other driver.

As an aside, I've gotten this working plenty of times before -- my laptop and desktop both are running the latest proprietary driver with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try this:

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post

That worked, thanks a ton!

Comment

Working...
      X