Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS X 10.8 vs. Ubuntu Linux: A Battle With No Clear Winner

Phoronix: OS X 10.8 vs. Ubuntu Linux: A Battle With No Clear Winner

Since Apple released OX X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" last month, there have been tests going on at Phoronix of this latest Apple operating system not only on the Retina MacBook Pro, but other Mac hardware as well. In this article is a comparison of OS X 10.8 versus Ubuntu Linux -- when trying out both Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and the latest Ubuntu 12.10 development version.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux wins at nearly everything but graphics related work. Just goes to show how far behind Linux drivers are compared to OS X.

Comment

please in your title please write that THIS TEST ITS TRUE JUST FOR MAC NOT FOR PC BECUASE YOU DONT TEST IT IN OSX AND UBUNTU IN PC!!!

soo please please please bold that its just for MAC computers

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Linux wins at nearly everything but graphics related work. Just goes to show how far behind Linux drivers are compared to OS X.
        On the bright side, it shows how mature the other facets of the linux/gnu/debian stack have become.

I am 'really' surprised by just how big the OGL performance difference is, though significant gains have been made on intel/mesa which may not yet be incorporated into U12.10.

F

Comment

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
          please in your title please write that THIS TEST ITS TRUE JUST FOR MAC NOT FOR PC BECUASE YOU DONT TEST IT IN OSX AND UBUNTU IN PC!!!

soo please please please bold that its just for MAC computers
          The mac is just a PC from Apple.
          In Germany you can run legally tun OS X on a non Apple, but don't know it for the rest of the world.

Comment

I don't think SNA has been enabled in Ubuntu 12.10, yet. Since from yesterday's benchmarks, which were tested on the mac mini http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._intel21&num=1, the graphics performance on every benchmark went up, yet in these benchmarks we see that the graphics performance for 12.10 goes down in comparison to 12.04, which makes me believe that SNA was not enabled. If it was, then the graphics performance of linux would have been a bit better and more comparable to the OSX graphics stack.

The upcoming OS X 10.8 vs. Microsoft Windows 7 Pro vs. Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Ubuntu 12.10 vs. Ubuntu 12.10 + Git should be more representative of linux performance vs other OS's.

Could someone comment on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              How can you be sure its driver related? NVIDIA (and I suspect other devs) uses the same base driver code for all the major OS's, so why is Linux performance THAT much worse?

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                How can you be sure its driver related? NVIDIA (and I suspect other devs) uses the same base driver code for all the major OS's, so why is Linux performance THAT much worse?
                Composited desktop with unity?

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                  The mac is just a PC from Apple.
                  In Germany you can run legally tun OS X on a non Apple, but don't know it for the rest of the world.

you right but its not the point if you do benchmarks it must be done in "neutral computer" you can't create benchmarks that the computer (mac) from apple and also the osx from apple its not "real" benchmarks or its not objective.

Comment

While it's entirely possible is SB's driver lagging on Linux (I do recall something being absent or lagging in a article not too long ago), I was also thinking it's probably because of Unity's noted effects on FPS. I want to see some cross reference for this as these numbers are fishy.

Xonotic with Ubuntu
                    1920x1080 =(12.67 L) (9.01 H)
                    2560x1440 =(12.66 L) (9.03 H)

These numbers are too close for having the extra workload and having it perform better at a higher resolution on high is whack all over.. Somethings gone wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X