Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Can Now Handle Virtual Workspaces

Phoronix: Wayland Can Now Handle Virtual Workspaces

As the latest Wayland progress, patches have emerged so that the reference Weston compositor can handle virtual workspaces...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Clipboard works?

Does clipboard work in Wayland?

What happen, if I open a application, copy something, then close it.
    Will it still be in the buffer ready for me to paste it, or will it be gone?

Comment

It won't be long now until Wayland has a tenth of X's features.

Comment

I'm confused here.. I thought workspaces was implemented by the window manager and not the display server.... right? And wasn't Wayland supposed to be a very minimalist approach to a display server?

Comment

Originally posted by 9a3eedi View Post
          I'm confused here.. I thought workspaces was implemented by the window manager and not the display server.... right? And wasn't Wayland supposed to be a very minimalist approach to a display server?
          The patches are for weston which is the compositing window manager i think (not sure on that). Weston and Wayland are used interchangeably in this case and it creates a bit of confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            The compositor, display server and window manager are the same in Wayland. They're one single entity AFAIK.
            You're sure?
            What is Weston good for then? And if it's harlinked to Wayland cause it's one single entity, why is it called a reference compositor then?

//EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland...er_protocol%29
            So Wayland is a window manager, but:
            "Existing compositing window managers, such as Compiz, KWin, and Mutter are expected to implement Wayland support directly, to become Wayland compositors / display servers."
            So Weston is just for testing Wayland and will not be used on desktops when Wayland will replace X, I think.
            Last edited by V10lator; 12 June 2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
              So Weston is just for testing Wayland and will not be used on desktops when Wayland will replace X, I think.
              It will most likely remain as fully featured and very extensible compositor. Like we now have multiple X.org window managers in the future we will have many Wayland compositor and Weston will be one them along side Mutter, KWin, Compiz and others.

Comment

Weston will probably be to Wayland what TWM is to X Windows.

Comment

"It won't be long now until Wayland has a tenth of X's features. "
                  haters gonna hate. even if H?gsberg is convicted of killing his wife, wayland is gonna gonna die. never!

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    "It won't be long now until Wayland has a tenth of X's features. "
                    haters gonna hate. even if H?gsberg is convicted of killing his wife, wayland is gonna gonna die. never!
                    I understood it as a positive remark. How long is X11 under development? With this rate of progress it will easily surpass X in a short time. Google 'sailing ship effect' and you see what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                    X