Oracle's patches can be traps on Open Source projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle's patches can be traps on Open Source projects

Since Oracle has positioned as an open source enemy we need to watch out their patches for Open Source projects.
    I fear that their patches can create bugs on the projects in a way that they become to unstable in the future.
    In some time their Solaris will compete with our enterprise Linux distributions.
    Please, watch closely what they are doing, before we fall in traps that they can create.

Don't talk crap.

Oracle have delivered and continue to deliver more open source than you have ever been able to, or will.

They attacked Google over patents, which does not equal an attack on open source.

Rethink.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      Don't talk crap.

Oracle have delivered and continue to deliver more open source than you have ever been able to, or will.

They attacked Google over patents, which does not equal an attack on open source.

Rethink.
      Open you eyes, before they show their fangs.
      OpenSolaris has gone.
      Now we can wait for what is comming next.

Comment

You signed up just for trolling? :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          You signed up just for trolling? :P
          Yeap.

Save this post and see it a few years latter and you should be able to see what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by fernandoc1 View Post
            Yeap.

Save this post and see it a few years latter and you should be able to see what I'm talking about.
            Read "Who writes Linux": http://www.linuxfoundation.org/node/4463

You will see that Oracle is among the top ten contributors to Linux.

Google, who quite possibly is the largest single Linux user of all, is on measly 20th place, at best.

Oracle beats Google as a Linux open source contributor by a very wide margin, both in recent times and all time. So, from that perspective we don't need to save your post, but we sure should remember it.

I have seen that others have argued the same things, Oracle is dangerous - http://blogs.computerworld.com/16766...ee_open_source

But, Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols at least had some original arguments, not only rants.

Comment

Here are some more perspectives from an anonymous comment at Groklaw (http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?m...9474#c870146):

Google is in trouble here because they use neither patent grant. They are not using GPL'd implementation (based on OpenJDK), and they are not getting 3rd party license because it doesn't apply on mobile. Their only chances are to invalidate Oracle's patents or pay up and close down their Apache licensed Dalvik.
              The Groklaw blogger 'PJ' summarized in a subsequent reply in the same thread:

But there is no doubt that if Google had used the GPLd code, this would not be happening.
              Please read the entire thread to get a better picture.

While I am no Oracle fan by default, they may well have a case, and Google be a culprit. This is a tricky case and I sure don't know what to expect down the path.

Comment

Oh, and Slashdot has an article on this too, with a link to an indepth article about it - http://infoworld.com/t/intellectual-...ious-evils-359

Comment

As a programmer, I know that a line of code can hide as many things as it wish.
                  Knowing this, and seeing what Oracle is doing in terms of Open Source, I think that we could not let Oracle do what they want in our projects.
                  They, for sure, will destroy many other open source projects, because now they own all Sun's projects, and they alone can rise an fully functional enterprise solution that can not live together with our enterprise linux solutions.
                  Watch out!

Comment

So you're saying we should abandon Btrfs? :/

Comment

Working...
                    X