Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI Drivers 10.6 / Radeon HD 5000 series - no compositing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Drivers 10.6 / Radeon HD 5000 series - no compositing?

Hi,

I have KDE 4, Xorg 1.7 and ATI's 10.6 catalyst drivers.

I used to use an nVidia card, and compositing worked fine, but now no matter what I do, I can't get it to work.

Am I right in assuming that KDE compositing does not work on ATI hardware? Or just on the 5000 series?

Thanks

My Xorg.conf:

GitHub Gist: star and fork 445782's gists by creating an account on GitHub.

Output of xdpyinfo:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:

According to your log file, there is no reason for it not to work. Have you tried compiz? If I had to guess, I would say this is a bug in KDE.

Adam

Comment

Should be a bug in Catalyst, not in KDE. I cannot enable it, too, but it works with the opensource-driver without a problem.

And I have a HD4650.

Afaik I couldn't enable compositing since 10.4.

Comment

it's a combination of fglrx and kde >4.4.x (IIRC) that doesn't work. Other compositing window managers work fine, older kde versions work fine etc.

There's a bug-report on bugs.kde.org about it, but nobody seems interested in investigating the actual cause.

You can set kde 4.4's compositioning mode to "Xrender". Some effects aren't available and others are a bit slower, but it'll work.

Comment

If other opengl compositing managers (such as compiz) work fine, I'm not sure how it could be anything but a bug in kwin, frankly, since kwin uses the exact same Xorg and OpenGL extensions as compiz.

Adam

Comment

If other opengl compositing managers (such as compiz) work fine, I'm not sure how it could be anything but a bug in kwin, frankly, since kwin uses the exact same Xorg and OpenGL extensions as compiz.

Adam

Comment

Not sure if this would be of any help, but I have a Mobility Radeon HD 5730. When I first open my KDE desktop (4.4.2 on Lucid), it 'thinks' that compositing is on, but it really isn't. I can then turn off compositing, then turn it back on...and it works fine after that. There's a widget to put a compositing on/off button on your desktop I just use that when I login - a bit of a nuisance.

Other than that (and slight video tearing), I've had no problems with 10.6. Moving/resizing windows even happens fast now.

Comment

Originally posted by ayqazi View Post
                Hi,

I have KDE 4, Xorg 1.7 and ATI's 10.6 catalyst drivers.

I used to use an nVidia card, and compositing worked fine, but now no matter what I do, I can't get it to work.

Am I right in assuming that KDE compositing does not work on ATI hardware? Or just on the 5000 series?

Thanks

My Xorg.conf:

GitHub Gist: star and fork 445782's gists by creating an account on GitHub.

Output of xdpyinfo:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:

http://gist.github.com/445784
                Same here, I have tried kde a couple of times recently. I have a 4870 and I've tried kubuntu 10.04 64 bit. Compositing works out of the box with the oss driver but as soon as I install fglrx it wont activate no matter what. And I did do sudo aticonfig --initial. When I install fglrx in ubuntu 10.04 64 bit compiz activates with no issue.
                Originally posted by mikeuw View Post
                Not sure if this would be of any help, but I have a Mobility Radeon HD 5730. When I first open my KDE desktop (4.4.2 on Lucid), it 'thinks' that compositing is on, but it really isn't. I can then turn off compositing, then turn it back on...and it works fine after that. There's a widget to put a compositing on/off button on your desktop I just use that when I login - a bit of a nuisance.

Other than that (and slight video tearing), I've had no problems with 10.6. Moving/resizing windows even happens fast now.

I tried that but it just says it cant be activated.

I still need to try it with cat 10.6, but I ahd this issue with cat 10.4 and 10.5.

Comment

Personal not having any problems apart from the firefox an bug in 10.6, which brigman sorted for us.

Tried 10.4 to 10.6 all seem to work with Kwin, That's on a 5870.

Xorg 1.7

kde 4.3 to 4.4.3

Mandriva. 2010

My xorg conf looks very different to yours, Maybe due to distro's though

Pete.

Comment

I noticed in your xorg.conf you have 3 device sections 1 for the vesa driver, 1 for nvidia and 1 for fglrx... any reason in particular you need vesa ? Also are you trying to run both an Ati and a nvidia card in the same rig ?

Like pete910 above I'm on Mandriva, 2010.1 Rc3 64 bit to be precise,
                    and I've had no issue enabling kwin on kde 4.4.3 with the cat 10.4-10.6 drivers.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                    X