Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf: A New "Soon To Be Great" Programming Language

Phoronix: Leaf: A New "Soon To Be Great" Programming Language

Leaf was announced this weekend, which is described by its developer as "a soon to be great new programming language." The language has been in development for one year and leverages LLVM as its compiler back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

as a software developer I don't care much about how 'great' or 'hipster' a programming language is. The important things are: Is the documentation useable and how good are the available IDEs. And as long as there is nothing that comes even remotely close to Visual Studio in combination with the MSDN, it's not worth it to discuss the language.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
      as a software developer I don't care much about how 'great' or 'hipster' a programming language is. The important things are: Is the documentation useable and how good are the available IDEs. And as long as there is nothing that comes even remotely close to Visual Studio in combination with the MSDN, it's not worth it to discuss the language.
      The MSDN, I share it. The IDE? Not all of us needs a fancy IDE.

Comment

Make like a tree or Nissan electric car.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          The MSDN, I share it. The IDE? Not all of us needs a fancy IDE.
          well, the combination of code suggestion, the easy access to MSDN (just press F1 on a keyword/method and you get the definition), the extension system, viewing 3rd party assemblies (it's namespaces/methods), just clicking a small button and a missing using statement is added and the (for the most part) useful error messages make it an awesome IDE. And while Eclipse has a similiar extension system, the IDE itself feels just...unprofessional...interestingly I get the same feeling when seeing/using a KDE desktop, but not with Gnome. I get it on Windows XP, Windows 8, Apple's operating systems and Xfce but not on Windows 7. I guess I'm just weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            well, the combination of code suggestion, the easy access to MSDN (just press F1 on a keyword/method and you get the definition), the extension system, viewing 3rd party assemblies (it's namespaces/methods), just clicking a small button and a missing using statement is added and the (for the most part) useful error messages make it an awesome IDE.
            You said it yourself: it is an awesome IDE (I can't deny it). But still you put it as the low bar, which seems exaggerated to me. And while MSDN is a great documentation, too, I do expect the documentation of a programming language to be great, the same way I expect the compiler or interpreter to be reasonably good (and my main interest there is to be relatively bug free and to produce good performing code; for interpreters, I expect them to produce it rapidly, as the user will have to suffer the time it takes to translate, too). But I don't need a very complex IDE, usually. I value a good one, but I can do without it.

And while Eclipse has a similiar extension system, the IDE itself feels just...unprofessional...interestingly I get the same feeling when seeing/using a KDE desktop, but not with Gnome. I get it on Windows XP, Windows 8, Apple's operating systems and Xfce but not on Windows 7. I guess I'm just weird.
            That's just a matter of taste, I wouldn't call you weird for that.

Comment

Python, Google and VIM is all I need

Comment

*sarcasm* I am so happy about this I can hardly contain myself! */sarcasm*

Seriously though, why? The features read like nothing special that other languages already have since ages (C#, Python, Javascript). Is the "We do what we must because we can" and "Why not Zoidberg?" really so alluring instead of ... you know ... doing what is considered useful stuff?

Apart from a bulky syntax for declaring typed variables ("var a : integer 32bit") and nullables ("optional" - compare that to C#'s "int?") nothing noteworthy pokes me in the eye yet...

Yeah, I know, I may sound bitter and "what have you accomplished" ... but I can just respond with: For a start, I know what others already have accomplished so I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Speaking of programming languages. Has anyone tried Lua? Thoughts, impressions?!

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    You said it yourself: it is an awesome IDE (I can't deny it). But still you put it as the low bar, which seems exaggerated to me. And while MSDN is a great documentation, too, I do expect the documentation of a programming language to be great, the same way I expect the compiler or interpreter to be reasonably good (and my main interest there is to be relatively bug free and to produce good performing code; for interpreters, I expect them to produce it rapidly, as the user will have to suffer the time it takes to translate, too). But I don't need a very complex IDE, usually. I value a good one, but I can do without it.

That's just a matter of taste, I wouldn't call you weird for that.
                    well, it's true. But after I started to program in Visual Studio (which was the first IDE I got to know), everything else was a disappointment. The only IDE that I ever liked, aside from Visual Studio, was Netbeans. Most people don't seem to like it though.

Comment

Working...
                    X