Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS M51TA-x2, Radeon HD 3650, Ideas

Good afternoon,

I am currently running a ASUS M51TA-x2 Laptop. It is equipped with two video cards. The ATI Radeon 3200 (id=0x9512) and the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (id=0x9591). I am currently running Ubuntu 9.10 and do not have opengl support at all. I was wondering if anyone knows what combination of Ubuntu version + fgrlx version + xorg version + kernel version i need to be able to have fully functioning open gl?

9.04 plus latest fglrx (9.6) is probably your best bet.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      This is a no go. I've tried that. I have posted over in the ubuntuforums.org and have no responses. here is my post from over there: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1206970

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I have tried 9.04 and catalyst 9.6. No avail. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1206970 Is my link with methods that I have tried

Comment

There's not much info in the other thread. Did you pastebin an xorg log anywhere ? The recommended mechanism for installation is to build packages for your distro then install using the package manager. Make sure you run aticonfig --initial before starting X the first time.

Is there a BIOS option to disable the 3200 ? The option might be called something like SurroundView. AFAIK the Linux driver doesn't directly support switchable graphics systems.
          Last edited by bridgman; 11 July 2009, 07:15 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Hello, I wanted to share with you my experience and ask you if you could manage to use M51Ta with linux and 3D acceleration.
            Just in case, my computer has this two graphic cards:
            01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
            02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650
            I installed several versions of fglrx with Ubuntu but none of them worked. When I install Ubuntu 9.04 from scratch 2D acceleration was great, but no 3D. Lastly I tried radeonhd 1.3.0 and 2D works well but the computer doesn't turn off normally, I must press the button. I made some changes in xorg.conf to see if linux could recognize the HD3650 card, so I specified the PCI of the card I wanted Ubuntu to recognice (PCI 2:0:0), but it didn't work. If I specify the integrated card (PCI 1:5:0) or nothing it works fine, but of course with no 3D... Well if you manage to activate HD3650 card and have 3D working please let me know. Thanks!
            Best,

Comment

You can install the fglrx driver from the U 9.10 repo, that should work. Older drivers do not work with that laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                You can install the fglrx driver from the U 9.10 repo, that should work. Older drivers do not work with that laptop.
                Thanks, I will try that and post the result.

Comment

Just to remind you: M51-Ta notebook with hybrid graphics (ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics & ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650).
                  Today I installed Ubuntu 9.10 beta, after updating I installed xorg-driver-fglrx (2:8.660-0ubuntu4) and all other dependencies which were needed but still I cannot use visual effects or use 3D programs (no 3D acceleration).
                  I think I must stay with win7 and linux under VirtualBox.....
                  Please, if someone has a clue of how to get 3D acceleration with my configuration I will appreciate.

Comment

well did you run:
                    aticonfig --initial

After, check that it set the right pciID under device section in xorg.conf.

EDIT:
                    It should say 02:00.0 in your config.

Comment

Working...
                    X