Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presenting The Common Display Framework

Phoronix: Presenting The Common Display Framework

Laurent Pinchart has submitted patches seeking comments concerning the Common Display Framework, formerly being developed as the Generic Panel Framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sound like a nice, clean solution. one more advancement for the open graphic stack.

Comment

I'm just curious if this is going to be adopted widely.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
        Except with FLOSS it comes down to most back up'ed by community/developers. Things that are not interesting die, those becoming uninteresting get forked.
        This picture is not applicable to FLOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
          Care to elaborate on the competing feature-equivalent standards?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            Care to elaborate on the competing feature-equivalent standards?
            There is really none. The current state is that each different display driver supporting different sorts of LCD panels, bridge chips, etc, has it's own framework for panel drivers. Meaning that if you implement a driver for some particular brand/model of LCD panel on one SoC, you can't just re-use the driver on another SoC. Which is an obvious duplication of effort, so a common framework will be a nice addition once the details are hammered out.

Comment

I hope audio doesn't currently have the same problems.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                I hope audio doesn't currently have the same problems.
                You are kidding right? Audio in linux has had the same fragmentation issues for years. OSS, ALSA, Pulse, ARTS, JACK, etc etc etc that all overlap in many places and result in duplicated efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  You are kidding right? Audio in linux has had the same fragmentation issues for years. OSS, ALSA, Pulse, ARTS, JACK, etc etc etc that all overlap in many places and result in duplicated efforts.
                  Hence the problems getting things supported/working.

Glad to see there is at least SOME work being done to reduce fragmentation, but frankly, doing something like this was long overdue.

Comment

Working...
                  X