"ati" on Intrepid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "ati" on Intrepid

I'm looking to get the ati driver with DRI and textured video and such working on my R500 based notebook (X1400). Intrepid comes with the ati driver but no DRI (apparently a DRI version problem).

(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion faileed because of a version mismatch.
    [dri] radeon.o kernel module version is 8.51.3 but version 1.17.0 or newer is needed.
    [dri] Disabling DRI.

And I need that for EXA not to be slow, and for "CP" to work for compositing... et cetera et cetera. I'm just not sure what I need to upgrade in order to make sure I don't break my system.

Not that it would REALLY matter that much, though... It's been installed for a total of an hour!

Originally posted by sastraxi View Post
    radeon.o kernel module version is 8.51.3
    Sounds like your system is already messed up by the fglrx driver?

Comment

Bizarre. You're absolutely right. I'll see if I can't uninstall that... Knowing next to nothing about this, I'll probably have to end up reinstalling every related package or reinstalling the OS itself.

Strange that they'd use the *exact same* module name?

Comment

Bizarre. You're absolutely right. I'll see if I can't uninstall that... Knowing next to nothing about this, I'll probably have to end up reinstalling every related package or reinstalling the OS itself.

Strange that they'd use the *exact same* module name?
        You ought to consider running hardy with the xorg-pushers packages and follow the install howto thread here http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9951

I've tried intrepid and keep getting crashed on logout. Probably not a xorg problem, but who knows.

But, on hardy with xorg-pushers, everything is working as better than fglrx (except tv). I'm running compiz while using google earth or games or watching dvd's with no flicker. And, suspend works with the right quirks added. It really is impressive.

regards,

Comment

In theory, running Intrepid out-of-the-box should give you almost the same Xorg stuff as when running Hardy with xorg-edgers.

But whatever you choose, do not try "fglrx" or "ATI accelerated drivers" or "ATI official drivers" or whatever it is called. It will get messed up. 90% of issues and help requests with the radeon (-ati) driver and 3D is due to the installation or not clean removal of fglrx.

- hey, I have a trouble with the open source ati drivers
          - did you install fglrx ?
          - erm... yes
          (me runs away)

Comment

Blame ATI for that

Comment

At least for Windows there are cleaning tools to wipe out all the left-behind junk from ATI :P

Comment

What prompted me to install fglrx was that it did not work out of the box and put me in software rasterization mode. However having reinstalled the ati drivers and uninstalling fglrx, it works. Which is odd to say the least. I am getting quick 2D (flash player can play full screen. which is a nice change) and, I THINK, textured video. However compiz causes the X server to crash and restart, and that is after SKIP_CHECKS="yes" is added to the environment. Any thoughts on that one?

Comment

Good news! The latest Intrepid update fixed my issue. This means that r500 users have compiz that can work out of the box. Amazing. Now all I need is powerplay!

Comment

What prompted me to install fglrx was that it did not work out of the box and put me in software rasterization mode. However having reinstalled the ati drivers and uninstalling fglrx, it works. Which is odd to say the least. I am getting quick 2D (flash player can play full screen. which is a nice change) and, I THINK, textured video. However compiz causes the X server to crash and restart, and that is after SKIP_CHECKS="yes" is added to the environment. Any thoughts on that one?
                    have you tried starting compiz with "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1"

I had to with my x1650 (rv535)

Comment

Working...
                    X