USB 3.0 and socket FM1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 3.0 and socket FM1

I haven't seen anything about this problem so I thought I'd post and see if anyone else has it and if a fix is upcoming. I have a computer with a Gigabyte FM1 chipset (native USB 3.0) and an AMD A-6 3500 (3-core) Llano running opensuse tumbleweed and Sabayon 9.0. I have 2.4GHz USB wireless receivers for the mouse and keyboard. Sabayon works fine with the closed source drivers.

My problem is with the open source USB 3.0 drivers on opensuse. Whenever I insert a USB 3.0 flash drive the mouse cursor becomes very difficult to use. Movement is erratic and very slow, necessitating lots of hand movement to get anything done. Before an update a few weeks ago it would completely freeze and the only way to use it again was to remove the USB receiver for the keyboard. Since Sabayon works fine I've been assuming it's a problem inherent to the open source drivers, but as the FM1 chipset has been out almost a year and I haven't seen this problem mentioned elsewhere I'm starting to wonder.

Is anyone else aware of this problem? Will the 3.5 kernel fix it? When I updated from the 3.3 to 3.4 I saw some improvement. I didn't have to unplug the keyboard to use the mouse and a 3.0 flashdrive, but it's still very difficult to do anything with the mouse and USB 3.0 flash drives.

There's obvious workarounds, but after a year I'd hope for better hardware compatibility.
Working...
X