Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLX DRI3 GPU Offloading Lands In Mesa

Phoronix: GLX DRI3 GPU Offloading Lands In Mesa

The GLX DRI3 GPU offloading support has landed in Mesa with a solution that's superior to the DRI2 GPU offloading model...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, is this like an open source cross vendor SLI/Crossfire solution? Would be pretty revolutionary.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
      So, is this like an open source cross vendor SLI/Crossfire solution? Would be pretty revolutionary.
      Pretty much! But I think it's more applicable for solutions like Optimus, correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Not Crossfire/SLI but Optimus-like setups, exactly.

Comment

Yes. Let's get single card performance up to snuff before we focus on multi-card solutions. Crossfire can wait.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Yes. Let's get single card performance up to snuff before we focus on multi-card solutions. Crossfire can wait.
            No it can't.

Many dual-graphics system hit the market recently and from what I've seen they tend to dominate in numbers.

I've personaly purchased two AMD dual graphics laptops recently (an Asus and an Acer). I went for this solution as it offered the best price/performace ratio I could find, way supperior to othe singler card models available.

Yes, Crossfire/SLI/Optimus would have been of secondary importance only two years ago, but given their recent massive increase in numbers, I would think to reconsider their position/importance.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
              No it can't.

Many dual-graphics system hit the market recently and from what I've seen they tend to dominate in numbers.

I've personaly purchased two AMD dual graphics laptops recently (an Asus and an Acer). I went for this solution as it offered the best price/performace ratio I could find, way supperior to othe singler card models available.

Yes, Crossfire/SLI/Optimus would have been of secondary importance only two years ago, but given their recent massive increase in numbers, I would think to reconsider their position/importance.
              you are confused, SLI and Crossfire are technologies dedicated to share the rendering job to provide more power(FPS) and normally require supported hardware from the same vendor and is totally unrelated to optimus.

Optimus is meant to save battery power by using the crappy intel IGP as much as possible for the low impact stuff like office apps, the desktop, web browsing but when you need 3D power for gaming, etc it turns off the crappy intel IGP and activate the secondary GPU from nVidia or AMD to the heavy lifting and switch back when you finish, the point is they never share work or render in parallel like SLI/Crossfire

right now in Linux we miss SLI/Crossfire but we do have optimus, this patches just improve it a lot

Comment

No it can't.

Crossfire/SLI is different than Enduro/Optimus

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  Crossfire/SLI is different than Enduro/Optimus
                  Sorry, I included Optimus there because I wanted to make a point, systems with multiple graphics card are gaining in numbers.

And I was referring to an AMD dual-graphics system. That has nothing to do with Enduro.
                  It's a form of Hybrid Crossfire.

One of my systems has an 5757 "Richland" APU with an integrated 8650g and a discrete 8770m.
                  Just for testing purpose, I ran Battlefield 4 on it recently.
                  Everything ran smoothly at max setting at over 35fps.
                  And consider this is a sub-500E notebook!

I would just love to get the same numbers under radeon one day...
                  Last edited by Adriannho; 01 July 2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Everything ran smoothly at max setting at over 35fps.
                    Your definition of 'smoothness' in not compatible with rest of the world (35fps is barely playable for most games and heavily unsufficient for first person games).

Anyways, back on topic, since nvidia have already implemented their randr1.4 offloading (DRI_PRIME on nouveau), this is step in right direction for optimus gamers with muxless gpus and that tearing problem largely held back people from using the feature.
                    That is assuming they could configure their xorg.conf and .xinitrc according to nvidia manpage.

Comment

Working...
                    X