chaintech zenith 9cjs CBOX3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chaintech zenith 9cjs CBOX3

the 9cjs came with a 5.25 bay that provides card slots, front usb and firewire, and an LCD POST code display. it's called the CBOX3, and it connects to the motherboard in various places.

in windows, you can use chaintech's proprietary software to get the LCD display to show the cpu's current temperature.

knowing that linux has a directory for every system device in /dev,
    a) how would i determine which directory represents the POST code display, and
    b) what could i do to get that device to display the cpu temp?

thank you for looking at my post, i hope the question isn't too moronic...

Do you know what LCD controller the Chaintech device uses? Is the LCD device itself USB powered?

LCDproc is very nice if it supports your screen.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i replied, but it didn't show up...

Comment

By chance does anything related to the display show up on lspci? Have you ever cracked open the device to look at the screen?
        Michael Larabel

Comment

the LCD is a simple, two digit display. it's not usb powered -- it connects directly to the mobo. there's a picture here:

Comment

i wouldn't feel comfortable cracking open the device... here's a pic of the back:

Comment

is there some problem with posting replies with pictures? i posted a picture of the CBOX3, but it didn't show...

anyway -- i'll have to check lspci and see... do you know what it would look like if lspci finds it? the screen is a simple 2-digit lcd, nothing special about it. it connects directly to the mobo... you can see pics of it (front & back) here

i'll get back to you on the lscpi...

Comment

connects directly to mobo -- not usb.

here's my lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
                00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P Processor to AGP Controller (rev 02)
                00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Processor to PCI to CSA Bridge (rev 02)
                00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
                00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
                00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
                00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
                00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
                00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
                00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
                00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
                00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
                01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 00f5 (rev a2)
                02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (LOM)
                03:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 46)
                03:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
                03:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
                03:0a.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20269 (rev 02)
                Last edited by glenmo; 18 February 2007, 12:52 PM.

Comment

no ideas yet?

i figured it could probably use some kind of command line program to get the cpu temp, then pipe that printout into the device somehow...

is there a cmd line application that reads cpu temp? then all i would have to do is find the device in /dev... and... um... well, we'll burn that bridge when we get to it, i guess...

Comment

Not sure yet.

Check out sensors/lm-sensors for reading temperatures.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X