Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARM Mali-T604 Arrives, But With What Kind Of Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Mali-T604 Arrives, But With What Kind Of Driver?

Phoronix: ARM Mali-T604 Arrives, But With What Kind Of Driver?

ARM yesterday introduced the Mali-T604 graphics processor that is a major step-up from their current-generation Mali graphics. The Mali-T604 is not only compatible with OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 and OpenVG 1.1, but it also brings OpenCL 1.1/1.2 support to this embedded graphics processor for GPGPU computing. Additionally, the Mali-T604 is said to deliver up to five times the performance of current Mali graphics processors and is scalable up to four cores, but what kind of Linux driver(s) will it bring?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenCL 1.2?

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      OpenCL 1.2?
      I'ts an embedded GPU ... not a desktop GPGPU

Comment

That's not my point. Maybe I have missed something, but there is no OpenCL 1.2 (yet). Heck, most vendors are still struggling with getting their implementations compliant to 1.1.

Comment

pfff they mess it up, Arm could be a big opportunity for Linux + Desktop, but they mess it up, why should anyone buy such hardware, when the biggest advantage (free fast graphic power) is not given? Why should I then not take the product from the market leader Intel?

Hope some new Arm socs are coming from companys that are not that society damaging. Econemy is there to serve humanity, our shit turbo-capatilism world tends strong to the oposite.

But I guess a big part is just stupidity, because they will sell less hardware when they go this way, and they win nothing.

Comment

Amd has GPU's for the embedded sector. Are these Free Libre Open Documentation?

Comment

Via's ARM socs only tend to have 2d, but there's code and docs for them.

Comment

Forgot to clarify, the docs are reverse-engineered

Comment

AMD/ATI sold their embedded GPU sector off to qualcom iirc. Imgagination technologies tends to rule the roost of embedded GPUS.

Comment

What's the most open embedded GPU? Not Intel, I hope?

Comment

Working...
                    X