Sound card for music and movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound card for music and movies

I'll probably be looking for a sound card for a new build. I will use it for music and movies in particular.

I've been to the ALSA website. I'm not sure if it's up to date but it looks like the choices (in my budget) are as follows:

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium (emu20k2)

Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 Cinema (C-Media CMI8770)

ASUS Xonar DX (AV100 C-Media CMI8788????)

I think all of these are supported but the Sound Blaster and Asus card has the best overall sound? I was curious about the Creative support in Linux, though. There were reviews back about the drivers but if I use a distro with 2.6.32+, it will probably have at least ALSA 1.0.22, right?

The Xonar DX has a C-Media CMI8788 chipset (then what is AV-100??)? It might be the most compatible or problem free?

I don't want to go over, say $80, for a card. I figure that is good enough. If it's lower, that's a bonus.

Any recommendations? Or other sound card suggestions?

No soundcard required, you can use even hdmi via gfx card for sound.

Comment

For Music and Movies, any sound card will do, including on-board sound. If you're worried about sound quality: if you don't have $2000 speakers and sitting for 2 hours listening to differences in samples, then there is none.

Comment

Well, I had onboard sound with a Gigabyte board. It was okay but I thought I heard static sometimes and the Graphic Equalizer (Kmix) only had a few settings. After, I added an Audigy 2ZS, there were way more settings and the sound was really crisp. I could wear headphones and it was crystal clear.

The onboard sound is a Realtek ALC1200 sound card. I believe that's supported via ALSA but not sure the quality. Apparently, I don't have to worry about it?

Comment

Build your computer and wait to see if your sound is okay. The onboard sound will probably do the trick.

Comment

Working...
          X