Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston Gets Output Configuration File

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston Gets Output Configuration File

Weston, the reference compositor to Wayland, now has support for output configuration from the Weston config file, i.e. the equivalent of configuring your output options with an X.Org Server from the xorg.conf...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hmm

Wasn't it actually a good thing to have a dynamic setup of output devices?
    I can remember that there was quite some work done to allow Xorg to run without a xorg.conf file once, right?

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      That's my question, why are Wayland developers reintroducing a feature (configuration file) when Xorg devs tried to get rid of it?
      It is really so 90's
      This is one reason why I wouldn't use a binary driver with Xorg...

p.s. I know nVidia-Fans, they provide xrandr support for a month now (after ~15 years or so)

Comment

That is retarded.

In a INI file, the [output] is considered a header/category/topic and everything under is key and value.
        You cant have a header with same name, that is not valid INI file!

Comment

We want a config file because we can't assume that the correct configuration will always be selected. I have two laptops with external monitors, on one I want the laptop monitor off and the external at its native resolution. On the other I want both lvds and hdmi to be at the greatest common resolution. How is KMS going to do this correctly? This config file seems perfectly flexible, I don't understand the complaints.

Comment

Why the fuck do we need this when we have KMS?
            Because KMS don't remember a custom resolution after a restart.

All Wayland does with this information is tell KMS to turn on/off the specified output and change its resolution to the one specified, the default (eg without a config file) will be to keep each display as is (usually at the native resolution which the kernel autodetected at startup), just like it does today.

E.g. KMS knows how to change resolution, but needs to be told what resolution the user wants to use. This is just one way of telling it, one that persists over a reboot. Dynamic (xrandr-style) resolution changes will of course also be supported.
            Last edited by Jonno; 31 July 2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I don't care if KMS remembers the resolution or not after restart, I don't want to be editing a config file like a fucking idiot for something basic as setting the resolution.
              Did you fucking read the comment you were responding to? By default it does everything for you but if you need to you can change it yourself. This can only be better than situation where you are stuck with KMS even when the results are not ideal.

Comment

Information about resolution or whatever is the job for EDID and KMS to handle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID
                Well, I have an old KVM switch that in fact does not relay that information correctly. I also still have a very old monitor right in my house that apparently doesn't advertise hsync/vsync correctly.

It's not in there yet but in the future this could be a good place to set in what directions the screens should be rotated by default.

If you have two or more screens, how exactly does weston decide how to place them per default? Could go in this config file.

I don't want to bother to edit a fucking text file.
                Then write a fucking gui. I could probably do it in less than 10 minutes with a bit of pyqt.

WTF, it seems like Wayland hasn't learned anything from X.
                How do I set in X that when my external screen is connected that the external screen should be left from LVDS and that the external screen should be the primary screen? X doesn't do that without a config file. At the moment KDE does it for me.

Lastly I don't see why weston should not use that or a similar file to automatically save whatever you change in your current session so you never even have to touch it.

Comment

That's my question, why are Wayland developers reintroducing a feature (configuration file) when Xorg devs tried to get rid of it?
                  Wrong.

What we did in X.Org was make the configuration file optional. The problem with xorg.conf wasn't that it existed, but instead that you could not start up a server without it. We spent a lot of time making the server do the right thing by default and making sure that most people would never have to touch it. But we retained the option for people who had different needs from the default heuristics.

You should also probably look into therapy if something as basic as a new entry in weston.ini makes you this angry.

Comment

<Darxus> This isn't a feature most people are expected to use, right? For most people this stuff will just be automatic, like it is for X?
                    <krh> Darxus: right

^ Creator of Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X