Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttleworth On Google Go, Unity 8, Ubuntu Phone, Etc

Phoronix: Shuttleworth On Google Go, Unity 8, Ubuntu Phone, Etc

At this week's virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit besides saying Mir will be the default on the Ubuntu desktop by 16.04 LTS and also saying systemd will be used when it's hardened (again by the 16.04 LTS time-frame) Mark had some other interesting comments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The best mobile web browser so far is Maemo's MicroB. I'd love to see Ubuntu try and beat that

Comment

inb4 Mark hate

To any and all developers that happen to dislike Mark, what if you had a project near and dear to you and you got nothing but praise from it, all of a sudden, someone dismissed it as something that wasn't all that great? That'd probably make a pretty big impact on you over the hundreds or thousands of people you've gotten praise from. You'd also have a bias towards something you've made from the ground up (yeah I know, Debian came before Ubuntu), but people should've realized from the beginning that Ubuntu was NEVER to cater to FOSS hippies or anyone like that.

Comment

That's not why people don't like Mark. It's because he wastes everyone's time and efforts all of the time. For instance, the wayland debacle wouldn't have been so bad had it been known that Mir was in creation and not spread FUD about Wayland. That alone was childish. It's grown on his reputation.

Comment

Moving to a rolling release modell for the non-LTS releases would be the best thing to ever happen to Ubuntu. The non-LTS releases are simply idiotic there is no other way to say it. I visited a friend the other day who runs Ubuntu on two of his laptops. We wanted to play something so I suggested installig Hedgewars the open-source Worms clone. So we both installed it but couldn't find each others game. We then figured out that we are on two different versions, because of the silly 6 month release cycle. So we had to fiddle around with launchpad to find the backport package for that specific version of Ubuntu and fiddle around with dpkg. It boggles my mind how people can call something like that a user friendly Linux distro.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Moving to a rolling release modell for the non-LTS releases would be the best thing to ever happen to Ubuntu. The non-LTS releases are simply idiotic there is no other way to say it. I visited a friend the other day who runs Ubuntu on two of his laptops. We wanted to play something so I suggested installig Hedgewars the open-source Worms clone. So we both installed it but couldn't find each others game. We then figured out that we are on two different versions, because of the silly 6 month release cycle. So we had to fiddle around with launchpad to find the backport package for that specific version of Ubuntu and fiddle around with dpkg. It boggles my mind how people can call something like that a user friendly Linux distro.
            That's a problem with Hedgewars, not Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by litfan View Post
              That's a problem with Hedgewars, not Ubuntu.
              Surely you're not advocating devs having to package for every distro?

A game changing its online protocol is quite common.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Surely you're not advocating devs having to package for every distro?

A game changing its online protocol is quite common.
                No, changing the online protocol is not common, nor is it smart. Especially if its peer to peer and not controlled by a game server in between

Comment

Ubuntu is a sad mess!

I never could understand the cult of Ubuntu! It is the Linux distro I try to stay away from if at all possible, I'm better off with Mac OS if proprietary software isn't a problem.

As for his comments recorded here, the one about Ubuntu being the best developer platform is pure nonsense. In many ways it is the worst platform to target when there are so many other generic Linux distros to use. Distros that are generic enough to allow your code to easily build on a wide array of other platforms. The more Ubuntu goes off on tangents the less desirable it becomes to the developer community.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    I never could understand the cult of Ubuntu! It is the Linux distro I try to stay away from if at all possible, I'm better off with Mac OS if proprietary software isn't a problem.

As for his comments recorded here, the one about Ubuntu being the best developer platform is pure nonsense. In many ways it is the worst platform to target when there are so many other generic Linux distros to use. Distros that are generic enough to allow your code to easily build on a wide array of other platforms. The more Ubuntu goes off on tangents the less desirable it becomes to the developer community.
                    100% agree with this. I can't think of another distro less in line with mainstream Linux than Ubuntu. I just can't comprehend why they continue down the path they do when they've seen such enormous backlash for it. They were top dog now everyone is looking for alternatives.

Comment

Working...
                    X