Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

Phoronix: There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

The announcement of Ubuntu dropping the GNOME shell in favor of their own Unity interface that came during Mark Shuttleworth's keynote to kick off their Ubuntu 11.04 development summit has not been welcomed by many Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, Ubuntu is falling even deeper into the realms of technical ineptitude, which I did not think was actually possible Fun !

Comment

Kubuntu/kde4 forever.

Comment

This suck's Phoronix, you're making Ubuntu look bad with this article. Most things i've read are good, yes there are lot's of people that actually think Ubuntu desktop edition will ship with the current UNE Unity. It's not.

They are going to design a desktop edition using unity's technology. It will be faster since it won't use that crappy Mutter window manager, they'll use the latest Compiz packages.

Gnome Shell = FAIL. I don't know anyone who likes it, not even the developers, that's why they are developing an Unity rip-off.

Comment

Just like Gnome shell; too much mouse movement and too small interface for touch screens. Hell give me a week and I'll come up with a design that's a million times better than that! (And not KDE, but something for usability idiots)

Comment

Lets hope compiz won't be sucked up and screwed up by canonicl.

With gnome going nowhere, and kde/kwin having become an overengineered tech demo, compiz is our last hope for a neat desktop experience.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Just like Gnome shell; too much mouse movement and too small interface for touch screens. Hell give me a week and I'll come up with a design that's a million times better than that! (And not KDE, but something for usability idiots)
              Since it's going to use Compiz and it's a desktop shell I'm pretty sure we will get lot's of keyboard shortcuts.

Comment

It only took a few minutes to realize that the Unity Desktop is very much a disappointment for desktops
                I wasn't disappointed the last six months I used it on my desktop.

If I had to choose between the already bloated and slow GNOME Shell and Unity, Unity would win with no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by virtualspectre8 View Post
                  They are going to design a desktop edition using unity's technology. It will be faster since it won't use that crappy Mutter window manager, they'll use the latest Compiz packages.
                  If they announced this change and haven't even begun to design the interface that will be launched in 6 months then this is an even bigger fail than it appeared to be initially.

I was already planning on sitting on the LTS because they refuse to settle on any sort of base package selection (F-Spot anyone?), but this is probably enough to push me to Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    It's not just mouse movement, it's the general idea of hiding all the open windows that is simply an invitation for pure chaos - and you will end up in no time scanning through a nicely displayed arrangement of 40 windows trying to figure out which one you actually wanted to open - and forgetting it in the process. Secondly, it's totally unconfigurable - I like gnome at present because I can set it up in no time if I happen to upgrade a distro and offers all the functionality I need in a transparent way, but with gnome-shell this tendency of removing configuration options is really going one step to far. If you want to keep your desktop in order *transparently*, then opt for something like awn has with the launchers which also act as "window-list" entries if that program is open, that way one automatically tends to use tabs instead of opening 10 or so firefox windows with one tab each just because one is used to click on the firefox launcher when looking up something. And with such an approach, you will seldom have more than a third of your "panel" space occupied.

Comment

Working...
                    X