Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10 Off To A Great Performance Start

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 Off To A Great Performance Start

The first alpha release for Ubuntu 9.10 was made available yesterday and while it does net yet integrate Plymouth or any other new features, it has picked up a few new packages. Most prominently, Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 1 features the Linux 2.6.30 kernel and GCC 4.4. There are also other updated packages from Debian like GNOME 2.27, but most notable are the kernel and compiler updates. We have tested out Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 1 and compared its performance to Ubuntu 9.04. While this is very early within the Ubuntu 9.10 development cycle, the results already may come as a surprise.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty nice results - could you say are they more due to GCC 4.4 or 2.6.30?

Comment

It would be interesting to isolate whether these speedups come from the new kernel, or the new gcc, or something else.

I'm guessing most of it is the new kernel.

Comment

Great to see the Kernel devs making an effort to improve the desktop experience ... makes me tempted to upgrade to the 2.6.30 kernel on Jaunty (not sure if thats possible)

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
          Great to see the Kernel devs making an effort to improve the desktop experience ... makes me tempted to upgrade to the 2.6.30 kernel on Jaunty (not sure if thats possible)
          All:http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Linux 2.6.30 RC5: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...e/v2.6.30-rc5/

Warning: may make your kitteh eat a dog.

Comment

Guess that kind of proves how screwed SQLite performance was because of a kernel regression.

Comment

The third test says
              Code:
              We had run the other tests within the compilation suite found in the Phoronix Test Suite too, and in every case Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 1 / GCC 4.4 were faster. With that said, we next moved onto looking at a compression speed test. 7-Zip compression was 4% faster with the Karmic Koala packages compared to the Jaunty Jackalope.
              Should say Ubuntu 9.10

Just a minor glitch in the matrix i found while crusing on my favorite website.

100% addicted to Phoronix chems.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Guess that kind of proves how screwed SQLite performance was because of a kernel regression.
                Ehm, same 'regression' on Linux, *BSD and Solaris?

I still hope we'll see Ubuntu x86_64 on Ext 4 partition vs Macos comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Ehm, same 'regression' on Linux, *BSD and Solaris?

I still hope we'll see Ubuntu x86_64 on Ext 4 partition vs Macos comparison.
                  Same here mate!

Comment

very nice performance gains

Comment

Working...
                    X