Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATi + (FGLRX) -> at least 3 years old problem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATi + (FGLRX) -> at least 3 years old problem..

I've been waiting for a fix that never came in the last 3 years, yet the problem could be older. A problem related to all Linux Desktop distributions since I tried all major ones - and they're all in same situation.

Ok, I guess it's nothing new for anyone, since many topics related to ATi Proprietary drivers emerged in all this years, but this problem is related to basic functionality and got real annoying to see it's still here after all this time. On the other hand, the guys behind ATi Open Source drivers "FIXED IT"... yet their functionality is even more limited then FGLRX (just recently got 2D acceleration support + some extra from Linux Kernel side) for my card which is HD 4xxx / R700 based cards (as in HD 4850).

Older cards have better support of course - and that was the Linux tradition since lately, since now I see they're more interested in the present, at least the guys behind Linux Kernel.

===================

Ok, short story....

I've made a video with the problem... - of course in real life doesn't move like that, but any HD 3xxx/4xxx/5xxx user should know what I'm talking about...

This problem has some roots in Windows as well, but Linux has a different functionality... as in - you rarely move any Windows in Windows (irony I know) unless you have a multi display config - yet Linux can go by Multi Desktop options for those that use it and it's noticeable...

It's even noticeable in Videos and guess it's related... There is some kind of thin horizontal line Flicker that goes from Down -> UP. Could be related, not really sure - yet this problem seems new, are maybe I'm mistaken....

All I know is, none of the above problems are present with Open Source drivers... yet owning a HD 4850 card and using it at 30% of her potential it's not really acceptable...

They want to keep the drivers proprietary, that's their business... but since I bought their product I would advise them to think about those who support their brand especialy since there is an alternative like nVidia... I owned/own 3 ATi cards in the last 6 years that should count for something. If they can't compete with nVidia when it comes to drivers support they should lower their pride, cause honestly they disrespect their clients with their pride.

-----

If somebody know a workaround i'd appreciate it ...

If you own a HD 3xxx/4xxx/5xxx just check:with Open Source Drivers (the ones that come installed by default with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) and FGLRX drivers...

I mean, this is related to basic functionality...
Working...
X