Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 14 Beta Is Now Available

Phoronix: Fedora 14 Beta Is Now Available

Fedora 14 Beta is now available. It features the latest Fedora packages including the improvements to the GNOME 2.32 desktop, Linux 2.6.35 kernel, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The announcement says systemd is in, but the features-list wiki page doesn't mention systemd any longer. I wonder what's up.

Comment

Hi

The original feature proposal from me was to make it the default. Since that has been pushed to Fedora 15, the feature list doesn't include it anymore. Now it is a optional init system for Fedora 14.

Comment

Rahul: I'm not sure it's a great idea to promote systemd as an optional feature of F14 when we really haven't done much to make it so. AFAIK you still can't actually install systemd on current F14 without messing around with nodeps and force, and Lennart hasn't made any indication that he intends to support its use as a non-default init system on F14.

Comment

Thanks, good to know systemd is doing well and is gonna be default in F15.
          Also, the (new) D programming language (ldc) doesn't seem to work ok, it doesn't compile a simple hello world test app, it yields errors. D'you happen to know if it's by design or a bug?

import std.stdio;
          int main() {
          writeln("hello world");
          return 0;
          }

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
            Rahul: I'm not sure it's a great idea to promote systemd as an optional feature of F14 when we really haven't done much to make it so. AFAIK you still can't actually install systemd on current F14 without messing around with nodeps and force, and Lennart hasn't made any indication that he intends to support its use as a non-default init system on F14.
            I didn't write up the announcement this time. You might want to talk to the marketing team regarding this.

Comment

writefln

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Thanks, good to know systemd is doing well and is gonna be default in F15.
              Also, the (new) D programming language (ldc) doesn't seem to work ok, it doesn't compile a simple hello world test app, it yields errors. D'you happen to know if it's by design or a bug?

import std.stdio;
              int main() {
              writeln("hello world");
              return 0;
              }
              Use "writefln", not "writeln", and it will work.

Comment

Sadly, this time the Fedora feature list lacks anything interesting for the average desktop user, apart from the obvious upstream advances. I'm aware that the BIG THING in F14 was supposed to be Gnome 3.0, and that won't be in for obvious reasons, but I would have gone through the extra effort to have systemd in. On my systems it was working seamlessly since version 10, but there might have been other regressions on different platforms, I don't know.

However, this release is going to feel quite boring for a good set of users, and this is generally bad PR.

Comment

One word: Spice.

Finally KVM will be able to do decent work as desktop virtualization solution (as opposed to server only).

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    One word: Spice.

Finally KVM will be able to do decent work as desktop virtualization solution (as opposed to server only).

- Gilboa
                    Yes I'm aware of the usefulness of Spice in highly virtualized environments, but the average desktop user's virtualization needs (if any) are already fully satisfied by virt-manager.
                    I still claim that this Fedora version overlooked the desktop users, luckily F15 won't.

Comment

Working...
                    X